Kalk Reactor from TLF Phosban Reactor

serpent

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this has been done? I am looking for a simple way to dose kalk and have an extra one laying around. Will this work or is this just a waste of time? Thanks.

If you gravity feed the kalk, sure anything that will hold water will work! I dont know if I would trust running my RO/DI thru one.

Could just mount a MJ-400 on top pointed down (I'd use PVC and glue it, wouldn't trust vinyl hose) then add a few taps to push RO/DI in and saturated water out.

Kalk reactors aren't THAT expensive though, especially if you keep your eye out. I got mine for $40 on here and it's sustaining my 90 for now. I'll probably upgrade later in the year and put it back for sale on here.

Thanks for the advice, the more I look into prices they really aren't that expensive; especially compared to the start up cost of a CA reactor.

I do and my ph never changes. I also use reverse lighting so there is always a light on DT>>Frag tank>> fuge>>DT>> etc. I posted a link a couple of days back on how to build a kalk reactor out of parts from HD/Lowes that I have been using for over a year on my ato. If you want it let me know and I will find it again.

showthread.php

can you feed one from the tank water or MUST it come from unsalted RO water?

Rbredding;386352 wrote: can you feed one from the tank water or MUST it come from unsalted RO water?

It needs to be fresh water.

You'll kick all the magnesium out of the water that enters your kalk reactor beause of the extremely high pH.

DannyBradley;386382 wrote: It needs to be fresh water.

You'll kick all the magnesium out of the water that enters your kalk reactor beause of the extremely high pH.
I run both as well. 24/7
And listen to Danny about the mag depletion ! No big deal just plain on testing and dosing mag.

The only thing I would worry about is the water coming in the bottom of the reactor might stir up too much kalk if your evaporation rate is high. This could cause an above average amount of kalk to enter your system. I would reconmend having it hooked up to a controller in case the ph of your tank gets above say 8.6

I run a Nilsen primarily for the bump in tank pH it gives, as I am running a calcium reactor that has effluent leaving it at pH 6.5.

Kalkwasser is also supposed to bind phosphates, although there is apparaently some disagreement as to how much it does that so to be considered useful.

I will be bringing a a sulfur denitrator online soon and that has low pH effluent as well, so the Nilsen will come in even handier after that.
Dave

cdub;386403 wrote: The only thing I would worry about is the water coming in the bottom of the reactor might stir up too much kalk if your evaporation rate is high. This could cause an above average amount of kalk to enter your system. I would reconmend having it hooked up to a controller in case the ph of your tank gets above say 8.6
Although I don't run one I agree 100% It is almost foolish not to if you are using a reactor and running kalk through a auto topoff. I preferr to drip it continuesly just under my evap rate and then monitor ph. not so much all at once as with an auto top off.

grouper therapy;386415 wrote: Although I don't run one I agree 100% It is almost foolish not to if you are using a reactor and running kalk through a auto topoff. I preferr to drip it continuesly just under my evap rate and then monitor ph. not so much all at once as with an auto top off.

+1. I have a Pinpoint controller that shuts power off to the Nilsen and the ATO if pH goes above 8.5.

Man, wish I had pH problems like yall. Running all my top off water through the reactor, my pH hovers around 7.9 at night to 8.0 during the day, evap about 1.5-1.7 gallons per day.

Also connected to a controller so just in case the pH gets too high it will shut off and alert me that my ATO is off and pH is high.

How often should I be calibrating the probe? I calibrated on first install, and after a month, with very little change. Calibrated again today 2 1/2 months later and still very little change, like .02 off.

Back