Kalk reactor / stirrer

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
Considering putting a kalk reactor / stirrer on the new system anyone running one on their tank and have some feedback to offer?
Leaning to the reef octopus but open to other brand options depending on feedback.
Thanks for the help.

I used the aquamedic kalk stirrer in the past and I really did not care for it... the thing was a pain to maintain and was poorly designed. The aquamedic (while stirring) would create a kalk "slushie" in the bottom of the reactor... when small amounts of ATO would enter the reactor everything was fine; however, in the event that more than a gallon or so of ATO water went through that reactor I would get a tremendous amount of kalk dumped in the system (it was like that slushie kalk mix would break up).

Sorry I don't have any feedback on the Reef Octopus; however, I would not consider the aquamedic.

JeffMuse;1023609 wrote: I used the aquamedic kalk stirrer in the past and I really did not care for it... the thing was a pain to maintain and was poorly designed. The aquamedic (while stirring) would create a kalk "slushie" in the bottom of the reactor... when small amounts of ATO would enter the reactor everything was fine; however, in the event that more than a gallon or so of ATO water went through that reactor I would get a tremendous amount of kalk dumped in the system (it was like that slushie kalk mix would break up).

Sorry I don't have any feedback on the Reef Octopus; however, I would not consider the aquamedic.

Thanks for the info, any information is good information, positive or negative.
Its hard enough trying to figure out which one to get, so knowing which ones not to consider is a plus.

IMO, Mr tech, you'd be better off with a dosing pump or calcium reactor. In my experience with running kalk, there were to many variables in evap to control how much is actually getting into the system which in the event you evaporated more one day to the next it would result in more kalk going in. This often will result in ph swings. On a tank as large as yours dosing or calcium reactor will give more control.

I tried using kalk twice, didn't enjoy it. I just stuck to dosing pumps and was very happy with my 2 part

I LOVE kalk! Especially if you're using a calcium reactor too.

I HATE the stirrer type reactors. There's always issue with the magnet or stiring stick, etc. Look for something that doesn't have a lot of maintenance on your end.

What's the advantage of running Kalk in addition to a calcium reactor?

I used a mrc nilsen on my tank at one time. Mixed with a blue line pump. Worked very well. Just top off kalkwasser every month or so. No other maintenence. Quit keeping up with my tank due to work. Do I took it offline to prevent problems

JBDreefs;1023715 wrote: What's the advantage of running Kalk in addition to a calcium reactor?

the effluent from a calcium reactor lowers the ph while a kalk reactor raises it so using them in conjunction would help reduce the effects to the ph. although since the calcium reactor drips effluent very slowly theres not a huge change to the ph and the kalk reactor only doses the tank when your ato kicks on so it wouldn't be a huge advantage but it is an advantage none the less

JBDreefs;1023715 wrote: What's the advantage of running Kalk in addition to a calcium reactor?

Pico hit on one small advantage, but there are much larger ones, imo. We all know that we need calcium and alkalinity for coral growth (among other things). We all know that calcium reactors and kalk will add them. So why use both?

Let's focus on calcium for a second. Have you even thought about what kind</em> of calcium each adds (or that there's more than one kind, even)? The calcium reactor adds calcium carbonate, CaC03, since it's dissolving aragonite. The kalk reactor adds calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, via limewater. So, you're adding 2 different forms of calcium. And me thinks 2 is better than 1 :)

dame it, i was hoping to figure out which kalk reactor to get but you guys are just screwing me all up cause i don't want to go co2 (just not a fan).
OK, i like simple so i don't want 2 pieces of equipment, so how about just 2 part dosing?

MYREEFCLUB0070;1023872 wrote: dame it, i was hoping to figure out which kalk reactor to get but you guys are just screwing me all up cause i don't want to go co2 (just not a fan).
OK, i like simple so i don't want 2 pieces of equipment, so how about just 2 part dosing?

If you have a decent sized tank, a reactor is the way to go.

Skriz;1024014 wrote: If you have a decent sized tank, a reactor is the way to go.

I've used two part for years and love it. Two part would work for now but after seeing what you've started...
Eventually your tank will require it!

Back