kalk reservoir

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
First of all this system is mainly for fish room applications or a really, really large stand:). I have used it for 3 years now without any problems. I consider it to be one of the safest and most stable methods available The tank itself is a diy fifty gallon acrylic tank but could be bigger or smaller without a problem. The float valve controls the rodi water and regulates the level in the the mixing tank. There is a safety overflow at the tank to direct water away and down a drain ,should the float valve fail. My total rodi system is set on a timer for operation once a day and to prevent short cycling. I like to use maxijet mods on digital timers to do the mixing.

The standpipe in the tank prevents slurry from entering and settling in the supply line . I purposely left the maxijet on for 12 hrs and the slurry never entered the sump. The supply line is about 8' long as well which would help prevent slurry from entering the sump since the effluent is only dripping. This differs from using a ato to supply the kalk which would dump the slurry should the stirrer or mixing pump stick on. The needle valve is a plastic valve available from usplastics.com . The only failure I can think of for the needle valve is it might clog and reduce the drip rate.(no big deal). I do open the valve up and run a steady stream for a couple minutes every 6 months or so.
I set the (24/7) drip rate during the low evaporation rate of the summer months and leave it at that all year. I would recommend not setting the tank above your sump in case a rupture occurs in the tank.
I hope some one can benefit from this and please bring on feed back.
By the way this is an open top so I am sure that the question will come up about the atmosphere's effect on the potency of the kalkwasser.That was tested and shown to have very little impact.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Thanks for the write up! I do plan on using this on my setup soon.

Dave prepare for tons of question in about a month cause this is what I want to do on my setup.

Its like an open top, kalk reactor on a dosing pump. I do like the mj mod as my reactor uses a mj but I have torn up several impellers. This design would seem to reduce that chance.

The only question I have is if the needle valve plugs do you also have an ato to replenish the evap on the display tank?

cdub;427670 wrote: Its like an open top, kalk reactor on a dosing pump. I do like the mj mod as my reactor uses a mj but I have torn up several impellers. This design would seem to reduce that chance.

The only question I have is if the needle valve plugs do you also have an ato to replenish the evap on the display tank?
Yes ,They are totally independent on one another. The drip rate from the kalk tank is set just under the summer evap. rate of the system so the auto top off does activate about every 72 hrs in the summer and little more in the winter

Ok Dave here are my questions.
I'll probably have more soon, but this is a start.

1 Does it have to have 2in pipe for the stand pipe?
2 Are you using a bulkhead or uniseal for the pipe?
3 Can you make the box in any shape you want? Or just use a store bough container?
4 Can you manually top off the reservoir, cause I don't have and RODI?

Mockery;428203 wrote: Ok Dave here are my questions.
I'll probably have more soon, but this is a start.

1 Does it have to have 2in pipe for the stand pipe?
2 Are you using a bulkhead or uniseal for the pipe?
3 Can you make the box in any shape you want? Or just use a store bough container?
4 Can you manually top off the reservoir, cause I don't have and RODI?

1. No, smaller is actually probably better.
2. Bulkhead
3. yes and yes
4. yes

Ok what size would you go with 1in or 3/4 cause I'll get the bulkhead during the PB.

And sweet once I get back from vacation I'll have to set this up! Can't wait!

I am just getting my sump room ready and am interested in this. I cannot get the picture any larger and the eyes of an old man won't let me see the diagram. can you enlarge and repost

OK yesterday when I clicked on it nothing happened but this am it did open up thanks.

roundman;428415 wrote: OK yesterday when I clicked on it nothing happened but this am it did open up thanks.

If you need help let me know. Not that long of a trip lol.

I need to build an 18" cube for this. Will have to start looking for the plexy.

Back