Kalk Slurry Viscosity Temp. Dependent?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Guys,
I use an Avast Marine K2 kalk stirrer, which is a slow stir 24/7 type reactor that uses a stir bar at the bottom of the reactor driven by a slow electric motor. I just emptied and refilled my reactor, and it looked an operated as before, but the next day I found the kalk slurry all clumped up a the bottom of the reactor, so thick that it made it hard for the stir bar to turn. One big difference is the temperature of my equipment room with the recent big freeze, and lows in Atlanta of 7 degrees, etc. My sump and all operating equipment are in an unheated area of my basement, and the room temp has been much cooler than normal, say from the upper 60s normally down to the lower 50s or something similar.

I just opened a new 5 gallon bucket of BRS Kalk powder, which is what I have always used, and mix with 0 TDS RODI. Main variable I can see is the temperature the stirrer is sitting at. The kalk powder seems the same as always.

Can a lower temperature cause kalk slurry to clump up like that? I always completely empty the old kalk out, rinse the reactor clean, and replace with new every two weeks.

Thanks for any help. First time I have seen this happen in 10 months or so of operation, and I am kinda stumped.

Hey Dave, yes temp effects kalk. It effects the solubility. Plus, is a flocculant, so it is naturally going to want to bind together upon precipitation.

My hypothesis: fresh batch plus cooler temps resulted in less dissolved kalk, more precipitated out, colder temps caused the slurry to clump together.

Back