Kalking Wasser question

ouling

Market
Reaction score
I always mixed this stuff and drip it in via top off water, but when the mixing pump is turned off, all the stuff I put in gets settled to the bottom. The top off is 5 gallons, and even when I just add 1tsp in there it still falls to the bottom and not dissolve in water. I've heard that it can supersaturate in water pretty well, was I wrong? I'm using RO/DI water and a pump to mix it.

Is that normal? Am I buying the wrong stuff?

Thanks.

It's pretty concentrated. The suggested mixing procedure is 1-2 tsp per gallon and mix, then allow to settle. It doesn't take much to saturate water and it takes a bit to dissolve. You have to stir it quite a bit and then it can take several hours for the undissolved kalk that's in suspension to settle out.

the settling allows a lot of the impurities to settle out. It's actually better if you mix the water, allow several hours to settle, and them pour the lime water into your top off, leaving the settled impurities in the mixing bucket.

Is that the only coral you lost? I would think that if you had a major change in chemistry, you would lose more than one coral.

Slurry (the undissolved part) can be put into a tank with great positive effect. Like any dosing scheme you just have to be careful.

On my setup, I put two tablespoons per gallon along with some distilled vinegar into my container. The pump kicks on and off for a few hours at night leaving about 3 hours before the lights kick on to settle. The tubing runs to about the last four inches of the tank so anything undissolved (the slurry) sits there. Eventually it will dissolve with the vinegar addition and I am maximizing the lime by creating a far more concentrated limewater doseage. I just watch my pH, but that rarely ever climbs above 8.2.

No I'm not brave enough to go tablesppons per gallon, i've F'ed up my "chemical balance" of my tank that way before. I just go 2 tsp per 5 gallons and add 2 part solution.

I add quite a bit of kalk to my topoff... I have a maxijet 600 on a timer to stir it up all day. Even with relative constant agitation I get a build up on the bottom of the container, which I wash out monthly. So far so good...

Back