Kalkwasser Reactors...specifically kalk stirrers

sammy33

Market
Reaction score
I have started looking at Kalk stirrers. The only ones I have found so far are:

Aqua Medic KWS 1000 (4x18.5) - $219

Deltec KM500 (6x19) - $439

MRC Sm Nilsen (4.5 x18) - $290

Well the Aqua Medic looks to be the least money. The new MRC nilsen reactor has the motor timer built in - kinda cool! The Deltec is expensive.

Was wondering if there were any other kalk stirrers (not circulation pump style) and if anyone had any experience with these listed above or others?

I have no experience with the AquaMedic or the MRC but I've used the KM500 and am currently using a KM500s. The Deltecs are quite expensive and I went with them mainly because I liked the idea of a stirrer versus the other types (stir bar, recirculating pump). I've found them to be able to keep the tank parameters more consistent thoughout the day than the stir bar reactors that I had used previously. This is probably the result of the stirrer operating 24/7 versus a timed pump or stir bar that only mixes a few times a day. When I was researching them, the only ones available were the AquaMedic and Deltec. Not sure if there are any other available now.

I tried searches on several message boards and this is about what I found. There doesn't appear to be many choices with this peice of equipment.

Did not find many reviews of stirrer usage but I see a lot who use the DIY flow through style and the pump driven kalk reactors. I have tried the flow through style and it does ok but with a heavy calcium demand the stirrer style seems to have the best potential.

Another one:

Barr Aquatic KR1020 (6x18) $299

I am sure that I remember seeing others. :huh:

I run one of the new MRC and I think it is dandy. The only thing that concerns me is if the pump ever seizes, as it is encased in acrylic. But, I'll worry about that when the time comes. Although it sits in a supersaturated pool of calcium water, the pump only runs 15 seconds at a time every 3 hours, so the impeller wont be getting warm and stimulating precipitation.

jmaneyapanda;81886 wrote: I run one of the new MRC and I think it is dandy. The only thing that concerns me is if the pump ever seizes, as it is encased in acrylic. But, I'll worry about that when the time comes. Although it sits in a supersaturated pool of calcium water, the pump only runs 15 seconds at a time every 3 hours, so the impeller wont be getting warm and stimulating precipitation.

The new MRC looks to have the mechanically coupled stirrer coming down from the top. Is this correct? Hard to tell from the pics on Andy's site because all the reactor pics have kalk in them. :unsure: Would assume so though because the motor/timer is mounted to the top.
a>

I also saw this stuff:

Kalk+2
Contains calcium, magnesium and strontium. Looks like a good alternative to just standard kalk. :)

http://www.brightwellaquatics.com/">http://www.brightwellaquatics.com/</a>

I like the idea of loading a reactor up with this stuff and being able to maintain Ca, Alk, Mg and Sr all in one shot.

sammy33;81949 wrote: The new MRC looks to have the mechanically coupled stirrer coming down from the top. Is this correct? Hard to tell from the pics on Andy's site because all the reactor pics have kalk in them. :unsure: Would assume so though because the motor/timer is mounted to the top.
http://www.myreefcreations.com/nilsen.htm">http://www.myreefcreations.com/nilsen.htm</a>[/QUOTE]

No stirrer rod, it is just an enclosed pump which faces down. When it activates, it agitates the kalk powder at the bottom. The timers are real slick- one for duration of mix, and one for frequency of mix through the day.

I am very interested in that kalk+2 also. I hate the battles I'm having with Mg.

Wanted to update that I chose the Aqua Medic KS1000 Kalk reactor. I have been using it for about a month now with my ATO and it is a good reactor and doing a great job maintaining my pH, SG, CA, Alk Mg and Sr. Here is a diagram of how I set it up on my 28g Nano Cube:
28g-nano-diagram.jpg
alt="" />

The RK2 controls the pH rise from the reactor turning the unit off at pH 8.4 and back on at pH 8.39. The ATO unit controls the pump via a float switch. This setup costs just about as much as a calcium reactor but I do like the Kalkwasser better for smaller setups because it causes less problems with pH.

I should diagram mine out one day, but it is getting scary. I am a few more components away from giving the GA Aquarium a run for its money.

Looks great BTW.

sammy33;121023 wrote: Wanted to update that I chose the Aqua Medic KS1000 Kalk reactor. I have been using it for about a month now with my ATO and it is a good reactor and doing a great job maintaining my pH, SG, CA, Alk Mg and Sr. Here is a diagram of how I set it up on my 28g Nano Cube:
28g-nano-diagram.jpg
alt="" />

The RK2 controls the pH rise from the reactor turning the unit off at pH 8.4 and back on at pH 8.39. The ATO unit controls the pump via a float switch. This setup costs just about as much as a calcium reactor but I do like the Kalkwasser better for smaller setups because it causes less problems with pH.

I have a set up very similar. The only problem I am having is that the ATO has a safety feature which shuts it off adfter X minutes of continuous "on" time. It needs to be reset after this. As I meter in the kalk/top off slowly, it often "trips" the ATO, and I periodically come home to bubble city in my tank, because the ATO isnt ATOing. If set the dial to maximum time allowance (as per the manufacturer), but even still this f's me up now and then.

Back