Kent Osmo Prep Marine

mattrg_2000

Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Does anyone use this to prepare RO water? The directions and Kent website only say it’s a buffering agent with calcium, magnesium, potassium, and minor minerals. They suggest you use it as step 1 before adding salt for water changes. I think that's a waste with Reef Crystals, but I'm thinking it may have some value for top-off water. I tested my RO water before and after:</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Before</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">pH Off the chart acidic/low, like 7.0</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">kH Alkalinity 0</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">After (2 tsp for 5 gal of RO)</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">pH 8.4</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">kH Alkalinity 8 dKH </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Ca 60 mg/L </span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I doubled the dosage that they suggest for ‘low end salt’ to obtain the numbers above. I’m thinking a couple of teaspoons of this stuff to buffer RO top off water can’t be a bad thing. I’ve had trouble keeping the alkalinity up with two part, and I’m thinking now that it was the acidic top-off water attacking my buffer. I use 2 part for calcium balance, and I’m not using Kalk. I know most of you guys have calcium reactors, some with a combination with Kalk. If anyone remembers their pre-reactor days, or has seen a link, let me know.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Thanks, Matt</span>

R/O is neither acidic nor is it basic, it's neutral. If it is either, it isn't R/O water. It's your aquarium inhabitants attacking your alkalinity. CO2 produced through respiration is the main culprit. Think of the incredible amount of bacteria present in your tank using oxygen as fuel.

I don't there's a huge benefit to that product if you are using a better salt. It may have some benefit in top off water. I would use caution if you have the top-off feeding through a float valve, as calcium carbonate overtime could cause the valve to fail and over fill your sump.

Back