Killing off Hairy Mushrooms

vettesarebest

Market
Reaction score
Hey, I Made the BIG mistake of putting some hairy mushrooms in my 30 gallon and now they are taking over and killing all of the other ones. My Perculas love them but they are brown and ugly. What I am wondering if there is something I can inject into them to kill them off. I try fragging them but they just grow back in the same spot. Do you guys think Lemon Juice would work? Or anything else?

Thanks!

They are about impossible to frag, I have tried just about every method but they just do not attach. Otherwise I would be doing this like I do with my Green Stripped, Blood Reds, and others.

Vettesarebest;69522 wrote: They are about impossible to frag, I have tried just about every method but they just do not attach. Otherwise I would be doing this like I do with my Green Stripped, Blood Reds, and others.

are they localized pretty much on one rock? Maybe someone would be willing to take the rock in trade for one of like size/shape?

Well, I REALLY do not want to mess with my aquascape, I really like the way it is now but I just can't keep them back. Linda, they are ALL on the rocks.

No ,no Gremlins Its Just In My Spare Time I Rescue Animals So Any Free Animal Stuff I Can Use I Snatch Up So I Dont Have To Buy It.now If You Had A Pinto We Could Talk

Vettesarebest;69533 wrote: Not to mention that the rocks that they are on are on the bottom and are pretty big.

Well, I hate to think about killing 'shrooms, because 'shrooms are some of my favorite tank items. Someone who's been into SW for awhile can probably advise. Best of luck, Bryan, and please keep us posted when you find something that really works.

(and I'm looking nervously at my own 33 gallon tank which I'm planting haphazardly with 'shrooms..... there's a fungus-among-us?)

Thank's Linda, I just injected a couple of them with lemon juice with a medical syringe. At first they just spit it back out through there mouth but then they turned dark brown almost black after I injected them a lot. We will see.

The way I get the stubborn ones to take is to place them on a small piece of rubble outside of the tank. Wrap the shroom and the rock loosely with bridal veil material available cheap at Wal-Mart. Secure the veil with rubber bands aroud the edges. Make sure to leave the veil loose over the shroom or it will grow through the veil and make it impossible to remove later. Just let the shroom "float" betweem the rock and the veil. Place in the tank for about ten days and it will attach. Remove the bands and the veil and let it ride.

family reefer;69553 wrote: The way I get the stubborn ones to take is to place them on a small piece of rubble outside of the tank. Wrap the shroom and the rock loosely with bridal veil material available cheap at Wal-Mart. Secure the veil with rubber bands aroud the edges. Make sure to leave the veil loose over the shroom or it will grow through the veil and make it impossible to remove later. Just let the shroom "float" betweem the rock and the veil. Place in the tank for about ten days and it will attach. Remove the bands and the veil and let it ride.

Thanks, but it doesn't work for these stuborn things! Tried it!:sad:

You can inject kalkwasser directly as well. These things are pretty invasive, and are pests imo. Nuke em!

Yeah I am with you Jin. I think if the Lemon juice doesn't work then I will give them a Kalk bath.

I've used a nylon bristle brush on them, after repeated kalk baths did not do the trick

Appaloosa1224;70052 wrote: how about cutting them off, then putting epoxy or glue over the stems to stop them from coming back?

There, "Foot" or base is VERY big and spread out, It is really hard to cut them because of this. I would not want to use the nylon brush because all of those little peices that you shred, turn into more mushrooms. They have a tandency in my tank to be EVERYWHERE including in the HOB filter.:huh:

Vettesarebest;70064 wrote: I would not want to use the nylon brush because all of those little peices that you shred, turn into more mushrooms.

I thought this too, but they never did survive in the tank

Back