Knobby Sea Rod Wilting

huskerreefatl

Market
Reaction score
Hey,
My Knobby Sea Rod is wilting. It has been in the tank for a while and healthy but all of a sudden it is starting to withdraw and wilt. One arm closed up and now is just a stick. The only changes are that my tank temp is now running at 80 instead of 78. The temp went up and I can't get down so I set the heater to just keep it there. It was going up and down. My temp is still doing some weird stuff so maybe that is affecting it. Also, my Mg is higher than normal. It is about 1420 right now and I normally keep it in the about 1350. Would temp or Mg cause this? Here is picture of it.

I have keep a couple varieties of sea rods for some time. a 2 degree temp swing should not make a huge difference and I don't think the Mag is an issue. Mine have dome similar things and sometimes molt off skin and look like they are dying but usually bounce back looking healthier than ever. That look like a photosynthetic sea rod, is it? Do you feed it and does it get good flow...these are 2 things that I have seen make a difference for mine (mostly good flow).

Thanks. It gets decent flow there, not huge so that it is bending over but sways. I do feed occasionally with rotifers but mostly let my Rods do the work. It should get plenty from the Rods food, I think. The bare arm is on the other side and you can't see it. It was like the top and not it has no flesh...just looks like a bare stick sticking out.

Catgirl29;1058800 wrote: Dave - is that what you sold me? I didn't think to ask the name.

Purple Sea Rod, Plexaura flexuosa to be exact. Looks similar but I think its different. I still have the clear netting that I forgot to give you at the last swap. Will you be at the Nov meeting?

huskerreefatl;1058803 wrote: Thanks. It gets decent flow there, not huge so that it is bending over but sways. I do feed occasionally with rotifers but mostly let my Rods do the work. It should get plenty from the Rods food, I think. The bare arm is on the other side and you can't see it. It was like the top and not it has no flesh...just looks like a bare stick sticking out.

Should be good, doe it get good light? Is it possible the wilted part is in the shade?

Yes - I will be at the meeting. Thanks! And thanks for the name. That thing is awesome. It's the centerpiece of my 30 gallon and it has absolute full polyp extension any time the lights are on. I love it!

dball711;1058808 wrote: Purple Sea Rod, Plexaura flexuosa to be exact. Looks similar but I think its different. I still have the clear netting that I forgot to give you at the last swap. Will you be at the Nov meeting?

It is out in the open under T5s (2 - 10ks and 2 - act) and LEDs so getting enough light...I think. Like I said it was healthy before and then this started and the only changes are the fluctuations in temp ranging from 80.5 to 79.5. PH is pretty stable staying between 8 and 8.2. What do you feed yours?

I've seen mine shed and come back even though I thought they were doomed. I'd leave it in and see what happens. Do you know if it was wild caught or tank raised?

If this doesn't work out and you want a gorg (they are really cool to watch sway in the current), I have a few photosynthetic varieties tank raised I sell from time to time so let me know.

i don't know. I got it from Reef2Go and has been healthy until now...not sure what happened. Yes, let me know if you sell some. Thanks

Maybe its not photosynthetic? Do you have any pencil urchins in the tank, I have see them snacking on various gorgs. Ill send you some pics of a purple sea rod that I have available.

I use to keep several gorgonias, my coral beauty angel made meals of them but has never touched anything else .
I'd leave it until there is nothing but sticks showing. . If you notice flesh falling off try cutting it up save everything that is not rotting off you may be able to bring it back , it's a very forgiving soft coral IME
Good luck !

No urchins and I have not seen anything nipping at it. The only thing that I can think of is that a sweeper from the galaxea stung it. The galaxea is at least 6 inches from it but one evening I noticed that the sweepers were far out but I didn't think they could go that far. Their stings on other corals are supposed to be very strong.

Back