Knocked my t5s into the **** tank

jericholic

Reaction score
So im pulling out the powerheads to give them their weekly cleaning when I knock my 36' t5s into the **** tank! I am currently blowing some fans on them, one set will fire up then shut off after a couple of seconds, the other set wont even respond.......anyone??

Well they are wet so I would rinse them with tap or ro water. The salt will dry and cause nightmares with electricity. Then dry every spot possible, maybe even take to the gas station and use the tire air (or compressor if you have one) to try and blow it completly dry. Then Pray.....

Might be havin a tank sale soon then cause im goin off to school soon and cant afford new lights....so dang frustrating

yea...last thing you want to do is plug it in again...take it apart,clean off all salt water with rubbing alcohol,wait a few hours,then try it.

Wow that suxs. Hope you get it working again.... like KR561 said, if all else fails, what you got?

Yeah, you should be encouraging him to stay in the hobby. Stuff like this happens. It stinks, but I always forge ahead even when their is a catastrophic failure. I've told my wife, even with a complete system crash I would start over again and make it better than ever. Keep up holpe, even if you need a replacement light someone might be able to loan you one temporarily until you get everything back on your feet. Good luck.

Yeah, SWC had a bunch at one time for super cheap. You could easily replace it.

I prefer him to get the lights working again, if not get new lights.... i'd hate to have to leave the hobby. I would be devastated.

But in the event he has to leave, I will be glad to buy some stuff, and if corals, split it back up for his return.

Well this will give you a reason to get some real lights like a couple of Metal Halides.

:p

Darn it man. what a mess. I guess the little accident I had with my ATO where my whole living room was flooded is not the only bad thing that can happen.

Good luck trying to save your lights, but from my experience...I'd get me a new set of lights asap.

head for HD and pick up some "plastic safe" contact cleaner, in the electrical section. take the fixture apart and spray the heck out of it.... it will displace the water and clean it all. let it dry at least over night before plugging it in. Oh and while doing all that PRAY!!

Jason

I dropped my T5 fixture in the tank the first night I had it. As soon as I did, the whole fixture went dark. I plugged it back in after blowing with a hair dryer and nothing changed. I cleaned it up the best I could and let it sit for 2 days...STILL nothing. I finally went and picked up a new bulb. Lit right up! Went and picked up 5 more (cha ching) and the whole thing works perfectly now. Try switching the bulbs that fire into the sockets that don't. You may just have some blown bulbs. GOOD LUCK!!

Back