Kudzu of the Sea = Xenia

jo-d

Reaction score
I know. I know. In my defense it was one of my first corals.Now, I have to look through it to see anything else. lol. Not really that bad, however, I need a way to remove it. Tweezers slip and I have false fingernails so that is not an option. Need a good tool, poison, flame thrower or ninja. Any ideas of manual removal? :moderator:

Surgical scissors cut them pretty well. Get as close to the base as possible then use something (like a steel brush) to scrape off the base. Then if you really want to nuke it, some kalk paste on the base area (be careful not to use too much).

Or if they are on separate rocks you can pull the rocks out and "boil" them and then recurs before you put them back in your display (not the recommended method but it will kill them for sure).

I had some yellow polyps that spread, but they weren't like xenia or kenya tree. These things would essentially move to a new spot, like off a frag plug to a rock. I had a bunch on chunks of rock that I was getting rid of on here, and when I moved them the finally time to get them out, I noticed a bunch had grown on the rock in my tank. I spent a minute scraping the polyps off with a scalpel. PITA

I may try cutting them blind1993. However, it's like it knows when I start pulling them out because it will fling off huge pieces and then the next day there are 3 pieces trying to plant somewhere else. It knows I'm trying to kill it and it goes into protect it's species mode or something.

Just an observation of mine...

I had a ph drop due to using the gas oven in my house too long without opening a window... Several of my corals showed a reaction to it... Xenia was the only thing that died................ They just melted away.

telsonman;1117925 wrote: I had some yellow polyps that spread, but they weren't like xenia or kenya tree. These things would essentially move to a new spot, like off a frag plug to a rock. I had a bunch on chunks of rock that I was getting rid of on here, and when I moved them the finally time to get them out, I noticed a bunch had grown on the rock in my tank. I spent a minute scraping the polyps off with a scalpel. PITA

Yeah they are getting bigger by the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be careful if you are killing it within the tank. It will release toxins as a defense and too much can adversely affect your other inhabitants.

Manual removal outside of the tank is the best bet, and run lots of fresh carbon in your tank to combat any residual toxicity.

Jenn

Back