Lanthanum & Flatworms

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
In the Nov/Dec 2020 issue of Coral magazine there's an article that deals with using the phosphate removing chemical, lanthanum chloride, to kill flatworms. It's really good and you should definitely check it out. I'm no longer a Coral subscriber but this article caught my eye and I was able to view the digital version of the magazine as a pdf. Basically, it detail some great results getting rid of flatworms using the manufacturer's recommended dose of lanthanum chloride products like PhosBan-L or Phosphate Rx. The total treatment protocol is a lot like the more standard products (carbon, water changes, ets.) but you can get the added benefit of removing phosphates as well as flatworms. If you phosphate concentrations are low, this method would not be recommended.

Personally, I'm not sure this is a very viable option because multiple doses are recommended for flatworm eradication and my own experience with lanthanum chloride is that it's really, really potent. It seems to me that PO4 levels would have to be pretty high to get away with multiple treatments. But if you're dealing with flatworms & high PO levels, it's definitely worth a read. I've been using Brightwell's Phosphat-E to reduce PO4 levels but flatworms weren't an issue. I'd be curious of any of you have heard of this or, better yet, tried this method. Any new tool to help fight aquarium pests is good in my book.

Back