Large black paint flakes in tank

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I've been finding large flakes of black paint in my tank for some time now. I can't fiquire out where it's comming from. There's no paint on any surface area I can see, unless the inside of my overflow is actually painted black!!

Last night I tried to look inside the overflow but couldn't tell if it was painted. Anyone else have this issue?

Are you sure its paint and not think pieces of silicone, jsut found those in my tank after a thorough scrubbing of the overflow compartment.

Might be calcium build up. Our saltwater mixing vats form like a solid covering of calcium and other minerals. If you touch it breaks off in what looks like paint flakes. We have to clean our mixing vats on a regular basis because of this. Usually has a brown to a dark brown color.

scrape the inside of your overflow with your fingernail and see if anything comes off. if so then you have your culprit. if not my guess would be the canopy if you have one.

Canopy and stand are black but no peeling paint.

Good idea Bri, I'll do that. It's hard to see inside my overflow but I'll turn everything off and give it a try.

What about a dry rotting cross member (center brace under the lights)?

My first thought is that it could be Algae/bacterial slime. If I don't clean my tubing, it will get a coating that will slough off when it gets to thick.

Good luck finding the culprit

JBDreefs;1023578 wrote: What about a dry rotting cross member (center brace under the lights)?

Her tank is rimless if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A7F28689-4501-4A23-9C00-D9A6F83510BF_zpsaejlyikg.jpg
alt="" />

D6DE8053-4FB8-4A8D-8816-52FADF859320_zpswzdk78gq.jpg
alt="" />

It is rimless and it's not the overflow. It's a hard, thin, paint/metal like substance. It dries hard also.

Found two more pices, I'm stumped!

Do you have a cover on the tank, maybe a screen with mesh netting? Maybe the finish of the screen from coming off?

No screen but a canopy. It's painted white on the inside!! Nothing else painted around the water!

I've got everything hard plumbed with PVC except my UV and it's clear tubing that I can see. I also just cleaned the entire UV, skimmer and sump!

HiImSean;1023470 wrote: Could it be from your stand?

I spray painted the inside of my stand with the black water tight from HD. I didn't paint the wood above the sump that holds the tank...
However it hasn't been wet and inside its a rubbery material and how would it get in the water?

That's a small cutting board in the picture. Theses are pretty big pieces.

Back