Large Pump Storage questions

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
So i picked up a used reeflo pump that just got taken out of use yesterday. I need to store it for a couple months and my experience with gaskets and seals in my line of work leads me to believe that leaving something dry, that was once wet, tends to dry out and break the seals.

Do i need to keep some water in it (maybe with a touch of vinegar or something?) while i store it? Seal the openings so no air gets in also?
I cleaned up the outside real good but the impeller areas still dirty. Was hoping some pipe cleaners would clean it up enough so i didn't have to open it up and risk messing up the gaskets.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

I've stored Reeflo pumps for months with not problem however, should you want to, take the volute apart, remove the impeller and vaseline the seal then re-install. This will seal it off from air and keep it moist.

Food safe silicon spray for the gaskets and seals. Penetrating oil on the bearings and turning them on once every few months keeps them lubed up and ready to go.

I would plan on opening it up and cleaning out the inside anyway if you have bought it used. It is the perfect time to make sure there isn't any gunk/sand/shells/etc stuck in there while you have a good opportunity.

If you are worried about it drying out use some Vaseline on all the seals/gaskets when putting it back together.

Jakub

Back