Large tank may be in my future... any advice?

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
My sister and I have decided we would like to have a big reef tank (and have started to save our money) but I'm not sure how big of tank I should get, I just would like somthing over 75g. I will be using mh lighting. Here is the livestock that I would like to put in the tank, If any of the animals wouldn't get along or are very hard to keep please tell me. Also based on this list what size tank should I get?
Flame angel
Hutchii Anthias
Royal Gramma
Lownmower blenny
Bicolor Blenny
Black and white heniochus
blackback butterfly
3 pajama cardinal
3 banggia cardianls
any peaceful clownfish pair
firefish
purple firefish
golden head goby
green clown goby
3 yellow clown goby
yellow rose antenna goby
flame hawk
3 dusky jawfish
3 pearly jawfish
and some large colorful fish for a showpiece (angels, tangs, any suggestions?)
inverts
2 cleaner shrimp
2 fire shrimp
lots of snails
lots of hermit crabs
black serpant star fish
blue linka starfish
emerald crabs
2 or 3 sea hares
lettuce nudibraches
carpet anemone
any other suggestions?
Corals
I plan to grow all types of corals
any suggestions or advice will help!

You would need a pretty big tank for that many fish. I'm no expert but i would think 180 but probably lot bigger

I would stick with a 120 reef deep. If I had to do it all OVER again, thats what I would have gone with. The larger the tank, the bigger the disaster, the more money you will have to spend, the more water changes you have to do. I can go on...

Also, I am surprised you didnt list any Tangs. Powder blue, powder brown, and Blond Naso are beautiful speciments.

purpleGORILLA;222560 wrote: I would stick with a 120 reef deep. If I had to do it all OVER again, thats what I would have gone with. The larger the tank, the bigger the disaster, the more money you will have to spend, the more water changes you have to do. I can go on...

Also, I am surprised you didnt list any Tangs. Powder blue, powder brown, and Blond Naso are beautiful speciments.
I didn't list tangs because I wasn't sure what size tank they needed. I would love to get a powder blue or yellow tang. Also what you said makes scence, I probobly won't end up doing all these fish I just needed to make sure all these fish get along because I will be picking a chooseing from the fish on the list and If I got two that didn't get along...it would be bad news. Thanks for the advice I probobly won't go any bigger than a 200g.

ares;222562 wrote: that is 30+ fish there. a 240 would probably be a minimum, 300 maybe larger for it to be anything less than HEAVILY stocked.

not that the tank is a big deal, you can get a used 300g tank for 1000$ or less. not cheap, but the 4 MHs it would take would be 1200+. and the pumps, a skimmer could run you a grand, sand will be a few hundred, its the little stuff that adds up.

start planning now, have it all planned to the smallest of details, start searching for deals on used equipment as you go, so your not rushing to buy whatever pops up later.

be aware of the ongoing costs like salt though, I use 15$ of salt each week on my 240, 4 halide bulbs every year or 2 at 240$, the fish themselves, its a few grand in ongoing costs to buy them.

might want to prune it down to what would fit nicely in a 120g, when you get a few years older you will want that cash for some other things I assure you :)
Ya like I said I'm not going to get all of these fish, I just needed to make sure they all get along so when I starting trimming the list I don't pick fish that will fight with eachother.

Also what is the minimum tank size tank for a hippo tang? My sister really wants "Dori" in the tank!

ok, the hard part will be chooseing which tang!!!!
My sister and I will have to choose between a powder blue tang, yellow tang, or hippo tang... those are our favorites.

I saw that you listed a carpet anenome? You realize you'll probably lose a lot of fish to him don't you. They're very efficient eating machines :eek:

I also recommend a deeper tank, front to back. Mine is 18" and I wish it was 23" so that once you stack rock, everything isn't crowed to the front. As has been said by others, write it all out and design it on paper then double check your list, RO unit, top off, skimmer type and placement, water changes, (tied into sewer is great), UV, mechanical filters, etc...

Cuda,
have you had a problem with a carpet before? I have had one in my tank for 4 years now and he has never ate anything not fed to him. I think BTAs are prettier anemones; however, the carpet has not been an issue in my reef at all. Maybe I am the exception. The only problem I have with him is he is not attached to a rock. Instead he attaches to my glass bottom which means my Maroon Clown fans sand all over all the time to keep it off of him.

Ya I would like to get a carpet anemone of some sort but if it gives me problems I'll probobly get some sort of bubble tip.

showthread.php

blind1993;222616 wrote: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16656">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16656</a> for 500 it is a steal.[/QUOTE]
I can't get anything yet, I'm still in the planning stages. But thanks anyway.

I think I'm going to get a 160g deep. I didn't know that jawfish were territorial, thanks for warning me! I'm going to take this really slow so if anyone gets territorial I will know it befor I put another fish in the tank.

I have to say I hope you're rich. The costs of the setup you're looking for can get very high very fast to keep correctly. For a 160g you're looking at several thousand dollars before you put the first drop of water and piece of rock in the tank.

That said, I strongly advise reading more. You have fish in that list that are incompatible with even their own kind in a 160g tank. Several of the species are con-specific agressive and a few are agressive towards fish with similar habbits and territories.

I am NOT saying not to do it. I would in a heartbeat if I had that kind of money and space. I'm just saying that coming from a 30g tank, I think you've got many months of reading, learning, and planning to go before you buy anything.

George;222626 wrote: I have to say I hope you're rich. The costs of the setup you're looking for can get very high very fast to keep correctly. For a 160g you're looking at several thousand dollars before you put the first drop of water and piece of rock in the tank.

That said, I strongly advise reading more. You have fish in that list that are incompatible with even their own kind in a 160g tank. Several of the species are con-specific agressive and a few are agressive towards fish with similar habbits and territories.

I am NOT saying not to do it. I would in a heartbeat if I had that kind of money and space. I'm just saying that coming from a 30g tank, I think you've got many months of reading, learning, and planning to go before you buy anything.
I know, I just wanted to get advice from some other people. I won't beable to get a setup like this for a few years but my sister and I are starting to save up now. I'm sure a few years of research while we save up will be more than enough! My parents are aslo helping us pay for it. I posted this because I thought some people might know which ones are aggresive twords eachother. Could you please tell me which fish won't get along?
Thanks, Diane

Rickey,

I havn't had a carpet anenome myself, but my neighor had one and it ate quite a few fish and I've heard the same from others and just wanted to give a warning. I'm glad you've had some good luck, because there's some beautiful colored ones out there.

Heh. I'd be voilating a copyright typing that much out :D , but I recommend some solid reading first.

For reading, I'd suggest reading these two first. Normally, I'd say pick one, but in this case, I think you'll go far in impressing your parents with your dilligence if you get and read both:
http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Science-Technology-Vol/dp/1883693144/ref=pd_sim_b_4">The Reef Aquarium Volume 3</a>
[IMG]http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Professional/dp/1890087998/ref=pd_sim_b_3">The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (2 Rev Upd edition June 3, 2008)</a>

Then these 3 in order:
[IMG]http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Invertebrates-Essential-Selection-Compatibility/dp/0967263034/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222557864&sr=1-11">Reef Invertebrates</a>
[IMG]http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087475/ref=pd_sim_b_2">Aquarium Corals</a>
[IMG]http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-Guide-Marine-Fishes-Essential/dp/1890087386/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222557704&sr=8-1">Marine Fishes</a> (this one is just a reference, but will cover basics of the fish you're after and where I get my info on the fish you're after)

Those books will give you not only insight into your current setup, but become invaluable references for your jump to the big tank.

I own all but the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, but to put my money where my mouth is, I just ordered it.

I'll go ahead and start reading! (my scince teacher thinks I'm crazy! I already have the marine inverts book, I've had it for 3 days and I already finished reading it! Part of it was that todays the weekend and my parents were out golfing and I had nothing better to do but I still think thats pretty good!)
Thanks for the book refrences there were somany in barnes and noble that I didn't know which to choose.

Back