Last 2 fish added

mrflameangel

Market
Reaction score
So I have added the last to fish to my system. My goal was to have 3 tangs. So I started with a my blonde then added my spot face and just yesterday I added my purple tang. Now the purple tangs is just a baby. I did not want to add a larger one for fear of the fight. So I added the baby.

888992=47460-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376338667.408439.jpg
>
888992=47460-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376338667.408439.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376338667.408439.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Now my flame wanted to show his butt and I became worried. So he hung in a rock cave all night. To my surprise this morning he was out swimming and eating flakes and grazing on the rocks.

I also added my male leopard wrasse. He swam in the tank for about 10 minutes and found his spot in the sandbed. I woke up this morning and found him swimming around. As soon as the lights came on he was back in the sandbed.
888992=47461-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376339042.381689.jpg
>
888992=47461-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376339042.381689.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376339042.381689.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

So far so good.

nice.. my purple tang has proven to be very hardy... how big is you tank? I'm getting ready to add my last fish as well (mysterry wrasse).

Kirkwood;888996 wrote: nice.. my purple tang has proven to be very hardy... how big is you tank? I'm getting ready to add my last fish as well (mysterry wrasse).

It's a standard 180

Great fish. When I added my purple the yellow beat him up pretty bad for 24 hours. Now they are buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from Mike's and have to say his setup is nothing short of amazing...well done Mike! Those fish are a great addition to your tank, as well as the new corals you picked up. I still cannot believe how that monti has grown since I gave it to you...really nice, buddy!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486086&page=102">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486086&page=102</a>

I am not the "wrasse" police......so please take this as, "hey, check this out....just in case kinda stuff"......cause I am assuming no one would be stupid enough to not reaseach such a difficult fish first before acquiring....They must be with species only tanks, or at least, very<u> non-aggressive tank mates....</u>

This guy knows Wrasses more than wrasses know wrasses:

here's a quote from Kevin Kohen:

But here is some great info on Leopard Wrasses by [B]<span style="color: #ff0000">Kevin</span>[/B] in that thread:

Like other [I]Macropharyngodon spp.</em> these fishes can and do suffer from improper handling along with a multitude of other stressors that can affect them down the road. This genus of Labroid fishes requires very delicate handling, as they are very skittish and highly sensitive to light upon arrival, and must be acclimated properly to[B] temperature, specific gravity, and pH. They can go into shock very easily and are extremely sensitive to fluctuations in temperature, water chemistry and dissolved oxygen levels.[/B]

I have stated previously in numerous threads here on RC as well as in an article in the first ReefLife Magazine, this species surely is not for everyone. If one has the experience needed to properly acclimate and care for this species, as well as the proper environment to maintain them, and is willing and able to put the time in to feed these fishes relentlessly for several weeks until they are fully settled into their new home, they can do well long term.

Once acclimated properly, the best scenario is to maintain them in an old, very well established habitat that has a[B] 2”-4” layer fine sand to meet their burrowing instincts so they feel comfortable[/B]. Keeping them stress free with no harassment from other tank mates or from their owner will allow them time to adjust to their new environment and settle in with the least amount of stress.

Assuming one obtains quality fishes that have been harvested, handled and conditioned properly; the next challenging step is feeding and proper diet. These fishes hunt for food almost constantly but will soon rely more and more on supplemented foods. Feeding these fishes throughout the day with the proper foods along with maintaining them in very stable, [B]clean water conditions at temperatures of 76 to 77 degrees is a must, as they do not fare well at elevated water temperatures. Supplementation of small frozen mysis as well as live and frozen artemia is critical[/B]. This can be accomplished by enriching freshly thawed and drained frozen food in Amino Acid and other vitamin supplements. There are plenty of quality enrichment products available and their use at every feeding is extremely important to help boost the fishes’ immune system and allows them to regain their strength.

Last but not least, and in my opinion the most critical, is having the proper time to feed them throughout the day for the first few weeks or even for the first month. Offering very small [B]quantities of food ten or more times per day will provide them with the nutrition needed to get them through the critical first few weeks of their transition into[/B] their new environment.

These are the steps that have worked well for me over the years, and all of them are critical, playing an important role in determining how this species will fare long term in the home aquaria.
Regards,

Thanks guys for all the great comments. I do not have any other wrasse in the tank. I knew what I wanted and was very carful on my addition. Well except for the flame angel. But I had to have him. There was no changing that.

Jb I did swing by the house shortly after you left to ensure nothing else was missing. Lol

Ralph thank you for the article. I read that on another post you posted not long ago. I have read and read more before getting him. He has been in the works for probable about 8 months. The only worry I have is the flame. I'm gonna have to watch him closely.

The wrasse was out this morning and the wife said it came out shortly after the lights went out. I just want to see him so I can ensure he doesn't get stomach bloat that I have read about.

Back