Leak in plumbing?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got the plumbing done on the new tank and of course, there was a small leak.

It drips one tiny drop about once every 15 minutes if that. I know the best solution is probably to cut the plumbing and remove that section but I was hoping to maybe get away with using this which I have lying around.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-26559/Detail">http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-26559/Detail</a>

I was wondering if anyone has ever used something like that to fix such a tiny leak instead of replacing a whole section of plumbing.

The image below shows where the leak is.

[IMG]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj347/Jgoal55/IMG_0528jpg.jpg alt="" />

The only reason I am considering this is because the way I did the plumbing its kind of tough to get good leverage to cut the pipe. It can be done it's just easier to use a glue/ epoxy.

What do you guys think?

PS - btw, the "gap" in the picture is NOT the hole the water is leaking from, simply the space between the coupling and the elbow.

You could try some aquamend. It says it repairs PVC although I havn't tried it. At least you know that its safe

yeah this stuff says it repairs PVC as well....but ill check out the aquamend too. The other thing I was wondering is if i have too worry about any chemicals......thats part of the reason I was looking for something that maybe someone has tried.

thanks.

Jgoal55;440906 wrote: yeah this stuff says it repairs PVC as well....but ill check out the aquamend too. The other thing I was wondering is if i have too worry about any chemicals......thats part of the reason I was looking for something that maybe someone has tried.

thanks.
The chemicals would be my concern also, thats why I would opt for the aquamend. I mount frags with it all the time just never tried to repair a pipe

Is aquamend readily available at hd's or local hardwear stores?

aquamend does work, I currently have it on one of my joints for the same reason. No leaks at all.

If it's a drop every 15 mintues....salt creep will self-heal probably. I had a similar drip on my new plumbing (luckily it was right over the sump and dripped into there) but it lasted less than a week before it disappeared.

jonboyb;440919 wrote: If it's a drop every 15 mintues....salt creep will self-heal probably. I had a similar drip on my new plumbing (luckily it was right over the sump and dripped into there) but it lasted less than a week before it disappeared.
put some duct tape on it till ^^ then

Dry it really good and run glue around the outside of coupling let it dry and do it again. I wouldnt normally do that but it should work fine. Next time you glue use primer and twist the pipes after you put them together.

Lowes as a a cold weld type PVC pipe mender as well. I have seen it in the areas where the different PVC glues are located. Small tube.
Dave

Aquamend, or pvc glue will work. Just make sure it's dry before you try to add anything.

just run PVC glue around it a couple times.... then the salt creep will do the rest over time.

aha....didnt even think about the slat creep; that makes perfect sense.

So i guess the salt creep in combination with the PVC glue will be more that enough. I ll just use that. Am I globbing it on there or just a couple of thin layers with dry time between each???

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever used that Goop stuff?

MarkL, I did use primer and do the twisting, just apparently not good enough.... :(

Thanks for the help guys.

To solve a previous leak, I just did 3 coats of the glue. just let it dry an hour or so in between the coats. You could always add aquamend on top or superglue gel if you want....but not necessary.

Back