Leaking tank

roundman

Market
Reaction score
OK my 75 gal is leaking and I am out of town. My daughter is watching it and changing the towels. I am picking up a new tank on friday when I get back in town.

The questions are as follows:
1. Place the styrofoam under the tank.
2. Plumb tank
3. Rock goes back in the new tank first.
4. Add sand around rock. Do I need to wash or just put back?
5. Put water back in tank
6. Put corals in tank
7. Add fish
8. Drink Many Margaritas

Is this in the correct order?

My old tank was not drilled, the new one is not drilled but the question about this is. Should I drill the tank on the end and if so what do I use to drain the tank to the sump?

Thanks for any input. Tank was a year old and it was my first so the set up was not done right and I would like to do this right.

have your daughter keep catching the water and just have her put it back in. Drink margaritas until you get back then worry about it :)

I suggest interspersing step 8 often after step 5.

However drunken aquascaping, while an interesting sounding Friday event, is probably not something you want to do for permanent.

Dang Rawn..sorry to hear. Let me know if you need me to do anything. This would be my suggestions:

1) Set up a holding tank for corals/fish/inverts etc.
2) Move all livestock to the tank.
3) Move the LR to a large rubbermaid and buckets for the sand.
4) Drain as much water as you can into large rubbermaid containers
5) Move the old tank, set up the new on in it's place. (I would drill and use an internal overflow)
6) Plumb new tank in and water test it with fresh water (full)
7) Drain fresh water and then add 1/2 tank old SW
8) Add Rock and sand then add remainder of SW and mix some new SW for top-off

Here's where it gets if'y: You tank will definitely cycle with the die off from mixing your sand and your LR out of water. You can't wait for a cycle and since the Livestock is in a holding tank I'd add them back. Make sure you keep the water temp stable with the old water. Try to add the sand slowly, with a 2" PVC pipe so you don't stir up too much detris. You are going to end up losing something so be prepared. Sorry Rawn..been there done that as you know. Good luck!

Mark,
Why can he not just use new sand? The old water and live rock should provide plenty of bacteria. I did this with my nano when I did a complete cleaning of the tank, used old live rock and water and it not cycle. Think others have done the same or something similar.

Joe

Thanks Barbara but friday is the day. Saturday is so booked up with my grandaughter. I do have a frag tank plumbed in and a few other tanks that I am going to fill with water and move things in them.

If the sand it the issue with cycle would it be better to use new sand? I do have critters that live in the sand that may not make it with new clean sand though.

Back