Leaky Pipe Question?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I'm working on my sump in the basement and one of my threaded pipes leaks even though I have it as tight as it goes. Is there anything that is reef safe to use on the threads other than thread tape?

I would try a new pipe if it is feasible, usually that tape works ? Did you wrap it around 2 or 3 times ?

TFE Teflon Paste. It works MUCH better than pipe tape and I have never had a leak using the stuff. I cannot vouch for its saftely in saltwater, but I can tell you I have used it on my own tank and several others without incident.

I use Teflon tape almost daily. I'm not shy with it either. I wrap it until it's nice and fat around the threads. It's easy to use too little, but hard to use too much

also helps to wrap tape against threads--the "pipe dope" that was mentioned earlier isn't good long term--teflon, when applied correctly, is way better. Just be sure you've got a good connection (the pipe isn't cross-threaded), and that every piece of the pipe is covered by the teflon--if I had to guess, I'd say that you're going "with" the threads, and when you screw it in, it's unwravelling the teflon.

Use the pink teflon tape. It is much much thicker than the white stuff and has given me a much better seal everytime.

I have also used the paste without adverse effects on the tank. But, I like the pink tape better.

ericmcj31;106836 wrote: also helps to wrap tape against threads--the "pipe dope" that was mentioned earlier isn't good long term--teflon, when applied correctly, is way better.
Where did you get this? The big knock against teflon paste is overtightening not failure. Most plumbers I know use tape then "pipe dope" over the tape. Teflon Paste after it dries creates a very good soft seal and water generally can't push it out of the way to create a leak easily. Also while Teflon Paste is considered pipe dope, all pipe dope is not Teflon Paste. IMO, Teflon Paste is far more idiot proof and in my experience safer as a lot of people misapply tape and it is virtually impossible to misapply the paste. If you want to do it like a good pro, use both but given the nature of our plumbing and the fact that in a matter of a few weeks they become virtually self sealing I think the paste is going to work just fine.

Bud, here is a very easy solution. Go buy a tube of aquarium silicon and use that whenever you have a thread pipes and bulk heads. They will never leak. Get rid of that teflon tapes, they are more hassle than it is worth.

I've used the tape many times and have it on correctly. I tried wrapping a couple of layers but it still leaked. I'll try again and really load it up. Chris hit on the real issue which is either the male threads which are already glued to the rest of the plumbing or the female threads in the back of the bulkhead are a little off. Usually, when screwing pieces together they start to really get tight after a couple of turns but this one goes all the way in very easily. I'm heading for HD this morning and will try another male part but they don't have the bulheads so I may end up using silicone on the threads as Trinh suggested.

Thanks for all the replies.

purpleGORILLA;106901 wrote: Bud, here is a very easy solution. Go buy a tube of aquarium silicon and use that whenever you have a thread pipes and bulk heads. They will never leak. Get rid of that teflon tapes, they are more hassle than it is worth.
I tried silicon and it does work, but I found once it dries it peels away from PVC a little too easily. Course the nice part about it is that it is easy to remove and start over.

Back