Leaky Plumbing Fix

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I think I promised earlier today to stop posting a million question, I lied.

I now have the new 90 gallon up and circulating but I have leaky pipes. I put a piece of blue tape on the areas just below the leaking where I screwed PVC on to the provided plumbing.

Since they were leaking I slowly tightened them with no success in stopping the leak. Is there a chance that thread tape will help stop the leaking? I'm not sure if it is meant for plastic on plastic applications.
<span style="color: Red;"></span><span style="color: red;"></span>
As it is it looks as if I will turn the return pump off at bedtime for piece of mind and hope the live rock (if it can still be called that) can survive with the flow from the three Hydor power heads.

PS... I know that the line on the right needs to be replaced, I bludgeoned it. It makes sense to start with the highest leaks and work down.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
886013=47083-image.jpg
>
886013=47083-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Yup. Teflon tape will be your solution. I never do threaded plumbing without it.

As long as your LR stays in the water, it'll be alright with very little flow. Sleep well tonight until you get the teflon tape. No worries...

Best of luck!!!

Thanks guys, I start back to work in the morning and desperately wanted to have everything up and running for a couple of days beforehand. I'm almost tempted to just let it run since the occasional drip is falling into the sump. However, Murphy's Law has been the norm since Sunday.

As long as you have not over tightened them already the Teflon tape should do the trick. Wrap it in the same direction as the fitting screws on to the bulkhead. Don't use too much of it. As you wrap it overlap each spiral approximately half way. About 3 layers will be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdnelson99;886061 wrote: as long as you have not over tightened them already the teflon tape should do the trick. Wrap it in the same direction as the fitting screws on to the bulkhead. Don't use too much of it. As you wrap it overlap each spiral approximately half way. About 3 layers will be plenty.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

+1

I have never used the outside threads on the bulkheads for white PVC fittings. You may want to redo the fittings to use the inside of the bulkheads. I don't even know if the outside threads on bulkheads are stand pipe thread specs at all?

Yeah, the outside threads are only for the locknut of the bulkhead. That's an interesting set up.

Back