Leather coral id and fragging help

jesspete

Market
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks in advance for the help. Was trying to figure out exactly what kind of leather this is. From what I gather googling i've come up with either sinularia flexibilis or mollis. These three were originally one piece and they desperately need to be trimmed back. They've firmly attached to the piece of live rock. I know how to cut trimmings and frag (haven't done it, but have researched). What I'd like to do is remove an entire stalk from the rock. I've rescaped the tank and one piece is going to be squished and another wants to be eaten by a koralia. Will I do too much damage cutting the base? What's a good way to keep them happy after cutting?

And... would anyone be interested in them? I don't want to keep but one piece and could trade with lfs, but would probably bring to frag meeting if there was any interest.

Thanks for any help!

P2020304.jpg
alt="" />

P2020303.jpg
alt="" />

Not sure if a powerhead to the base would work in removing it???
How much are you asking for a frag/stalk?

Looks like sinularia to me... I have been wrong before.. Cutting at the base prolly wont kill it but should be enough to piss it off real good..
Warning though.. It there is any kind of tissue left from cutting it, it will prolly grow back from the same spot

I'm pretty sure it's sinularia, just wasn't sure which type. Guess for fragging purposes it doesn't matter. There would definitely be some left on the rock, but I think I can utilize some suggested methods to keep it from coming back. (Smothering with epoxy to block light? Scrubbing rocks. Just gotta be careful).

Not sure about an asking price, I'd need input from you guys as to value first I suppose. I'd be interested in trades. IWe wouldn't necessarily have to wait until frag meeting. I'm trying to stock up on SPS frags, but would consider just about everything except brown polyps and common mushrooms.

I'll guage interest to see if it's worth posting for sale. If so, I'll post an asking price or offer trades. If not, I'll take it up to Blue Planet and swap it out for something different.

Any suggestions for keeping it happy after cutting it from the base?

WOO HOO! Just cut my first coral! I guess it's not technically a frag since it was a free standing column! Keeping my fingers crossed that it heals up nicely. It's loosely rubberbanded to a big shell. I dipped it in an iodide solution. My husband didn't even want to watch.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how did this turn out? Never done any fragging myself, but just got a nice leather that I would like to remove from it's rock. It's in a holding/QT tank right now because it has aiptasia on the base rock. I figure I can do one of 3 things:
1. Try to kill the aiptasia (how would I know I got every little one???)
2. Break off the rock all the way around the base, minimizing the chances of missing an aiptasia.
3. Cut the leather about 1/2" from where it attaches to the base rock and reattach it to a clean rock. All but a guarantee I don't introduce aiptasia to my display tank.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Back