LED and Filtration Question from a Nano Newb

Fishpod

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the
HIPARGERO LED Aquarium Light light fixture? Planning a 20 g nano and wanting to get a nice quality LED light fixture to grow simply SPS corals. Just doing this to get my feet wet with Saltwater. If you do not, what recommendations do you have for LED lighting for a 20 g high tank. Also any recommendations on filtration (thinking about getting a HBO filter along with a power head). Let me know and I appreciate looking at this post.

Welcome and greeting from a fellow Eastsider!

I don't have this light fixture but it's pretty common and lots of folks use them. I have a few comments but my main question is, what kid of experience do you have in the hobby? Total saltwater newbie? If so, I think it's a pretty good option. There are better lights out there for sure but a successful SPS tank is a mature tank and this light will get you through all of the fun algae stages and all of the other stuff that comes along with the list of things referred to as "new tank syndrome." I've been thinking about buying the exact same light for a coral QT but haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Will is be good in 3 years when you're growing beautiful acros and stunning milleporas? I'm sure that it could be. However, as folks get further and further in to the hobby, they tend to start playing with different light wavelengths, intensity and duration. You can control most of these with a Hiparegero but I don't think it has the software interface that come with something like a Kessil, AI or Radion fixture. I'd also mention that the bigger names brands are really popular and there are a lot of folks constantly messing with their lights and posting about it. This can be valuable down the road.

The biggest vote in favor of you getting this light (in my opinion) is the cost. It'll for sure get you going and the $$ invested isn't crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually upgraded but that's pretty much how this particular hobby works. Hopefully someone that uses these exact fixtures will chime in and give you some more information than I can offer. I'd be curious to learn what you're planning on putting together for the rest of the tank too. Are you looking for an All In One (AIO) tank or going to use a standard 20g tank? I'd suggest checking out the tanks set up by @Mom2Many . She's a fellow member and I believe she's always set up 20g Long tanks. She does great job and could probably offer all kinds of insight for your build.

I have that light and wouldn't expect it to be sufficient for acros in a 20H. Really I'd doubt it could do much for them even in a shallower tank. Its best for softies and some lps.

You will be better off buying a quality light like a kessil or AI prime. It will save you in the long run (fwiw, i still haven't). There are more budget friendly options like black boxes that absolutely will work though. I run SB reef lights on 2 tanks and Viparspecras on my 120. Personally, i prefer the SB reef spectrum and its the one with which I've had the most success.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have one on my shallow 11 gallon frag tank. For soft corals and LPS it is amazing, but I haven't had much luck so far with SPS. I have tried a birdsnest, monti, and an acro; all slowly went downhill. And in your case, for a 20 gallon high, it is definitely too deep for this light.

I have SB Reef Light's 18" Basic on my 20 gallon. Most of the coral is SPS and all doing great; encrusting and growing.

Sounds like this will be your first saltwater tank. There are a couple of fairly easy SPS corals that you could start with, but I would really recommend you start with soft or LPS corals.

If you want go with a HOB filter, I would recommend a Seachem Tidal. It has a surface skimmer that will get rid of any oils on the surface of the water. Buy one rated for much bigger than what the box says though; it has the ability to be turned down. At least a 55, I would probably go with the 75 though. I have one on my planted tank and it has been great.

Also, I have seen some HOB filters that have a protein skimmer built in; can't recommend any personally, but worth looking into as you may otherwise want to eventually add a HOB protein skimmer as well to really get the nasty stuff out of the water.

If you want to talk over the phone, feel free to send me a PM and I will reply with my number.

Thank you all very much for the replies! Yes this will be my first ever saltwater tank, I have experience in the freshwater hobby for multiple years. I think my biggest attraction to the Hiparago light was the cost. It does sound to be of lesser quality compared to other LED light fixtures! I think I am going to take the preparation and research very slowly to hopefully have all my i's dotted and t's crossed to pull the trigger come december! Again I appreciate all the feedback, very welcoming group!

Definitely smart to go slow. Honestly, for a starter tank, the 32 gallon biocube is pretty bulletproof imo. I'm not sure the capacity of the new leds to grow SPS. I have the old 29 gallon version. That one came with compact fluorescent lights. Ive modded mine now and run it topless with a sb reef light but it is still a softie tank.

If you don't go the all in one route, I'd suggest getting a drilled tank. The sump gives more water volume and a place for extra equipment like a skimmer. You also have a place for a refugium if you want. It leads to an overall "cleaner" looking display.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am using the Hipargero light on my 10g Waterbox and have found it to be great so far. I have primarily LPS but also a few SPS placed high in the tank, and everything is thriving. I think this light is ideal for beginners (and even advanced reefers in the right setup) and highly recommend it. I can take some photos later today when the lights come on to show you the coloration of corals etc under the light. Everything is extremely bright and has maintained its color under these lights.

Don't have any experience with that light but I'm using two AI Primes over my 20g. This is my first tank so I don't have anything to compare it to but seems to be working so far!

DSC03909.jpg

Great advice so far; I’ve seen others success with the Hipargero and I am also a big fan of SB Reef Lights.

The downside that I know of SB Reef is that their lights are inefficient, so they produce more heat. That said, they offer great power for your price, offer a 2 year manufacturers warranty (and the owners claim they treat as a lifetime warranty), and for simple things like diodes needing to be replaced they will do it at cost (not for profit). If you’re looking for something affordable; these are the two brands I’d look at. So you’re on the right track!

And not to rain on your parade; another concern with beginners hoping for SPS in a Nano will be temperature fluctuations. 20g is quite small and even with a heater, it may be challenging to get many SPS to grow. I suspect you’ll have difficulty with various Acroporas; this can mean that they won’t survive, or that they will simply not grow or grow even more slowly.

My advice when a person is considering getting a first reef (or any) tank is; don’t consider your tank size based on their gallons. Instead consider tank size practically by basing it on the area they will take up in your home/office.

For example: let’s say that you have 2 feet of space along a wall. Many people will think “I want a tank. 20g tanks are that size. I will get a 20g”. With this hobby, you will want more space very quickly. However, if you instead choose to dive a little deeper, you can find larger tanks fit this same footprint (we even had an awesome custom 80g tall tank that’s 24” wide). Every extra gallon you can accommodate will mean potentially more fish, more coral, more stable water, and so better growth. Just something to consider, and it requires introspection to your long term wishes. In short; Nanos can be more challenging, more work, and leave you wanting more. That said... maybe a Nano is right for you after all! Only you can best judge that.

I have a Hipargero light over my 10g mixed reef. I love the light as far as cost and quality goes. I have only ever kept nano tanks over the last 15 plus years. I have only ever used the Hipargero on shallow tanks and have had no issues with them at all except I have to dial them down. They can be to strong for such a shallow tank. I have the one on my 10g at... blues 80% and whites at 40%. Everything I have in that tank is doing well. I have a crown of thorns birds nest in there (midways doing well) and two small frags of other hard corals up with in three inches of the water line growing slow but doing well. I can not speak for how well acros do under them as I always stay within what my tank is designed for, so my corals will do well... and I stick to mid to lower light requirerment type corals. I also think that the 20 high might be two deep, for the Hipargerro to do the job, for the types of corals you are desiring to keep. (also water volume might be a bit small to keep stable enought for acros, unless you have a good sized sump) Blessings on your project! Sounds like you are doing lots of research and taking it slow! That is the best begining you can have. :)

Back