LED DIY Padwan seeks Jedi Master

fener103

Market
Reaction score
Ok. So I am debating about doing a set of DIY LED's. I would like some opinions from folks that have succesfully done this. Currently I am running 2 X 250 w/ T-5 supplimation without a canopy, but struggle with heat, and instead of going the route of getting a chiller I think I would rather take the plunge into the world of LED. My current tank is a 24 X 24 X 48 120 gallon with center brace. I have a mixed reef mostly softies and SPS (up high with no desire to have them growing on the sandbed) I would like to get opinions either through PM or through this thread as to the best way to proceed. Currently I have looked at buying complete kits (not sure if this is the best method) from two different etailers. Secondly, I would love to see your tank and discuss what you may have done differently if you had to do it all over again. Please share your thoughts.

I know, no comments in for sale threads, but just wanted to say I really enjoyed the title of your thread.....

My office mates wonder why I just giggled out loud.

I like your since of humor.

FYI, I grew up in Loganville in the 70's and early 80's

Your tank is a little shorter than my 150 (which is 24 x 24 x 60).

The option I am currently trying is 50W LED array chips, which come in 10,000K, 20,000K, 455nm Royal Blue, and a few other variations. They also make 100W versions.

Reflectors and lenses are also available, commonly in 60 and 90 degree options.
The LED array chips are typically 120-140 degree by themselves.

Check out my http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58147">LED Design</a> thread (warning, long read - start at post #43).

I've gotten to the point of obtaining the parts - but have not yet built out the frame and wired it all up.

Parts:

3 x 50W 10,000K LED array chips
3 x 50W 455nm Royal Blue LED array chips
2 x 185 Watt Meanwell dimmable drivers.

6 x computer CPU heatsinks.
Aluminum framework

I have tested out one of the 50W 20,000K LED chips - and they're pretty bright.

I have one sitting above a 32 Gallon Brute container holding my live rock.

If I had it to over again I would likely build my own set up with an Arduino controller and different channels that can be controlled. It would have cost less than half of what I paid for a retail set up.

That being said, I have some intermediate electronics, soldering, wiring experience so it wasn't as intimidating when I looked at some of the build threads others had done.

My LEDs are two 119 LED 1w lamps. And yes 1w is very sufficient for coral growth (I have a birds nest that has tripled in size in just a few months) but I would likely go with 3w LEDs now just for versatility.

I&#8217;ve also been researching LED&#8217;s for a 150 gal I&#8217;ll be setting up in a few months. I&#8217;m going with 2 ea 24&#8221; heatsinks with a total of 60 led&#8217;s on each. 48 led&#8217;s will be a ratio of 2:1 3W Cree XR-E Royal Blue to 3W Cree XP-E Cool White then an additional 12 ea 3W Cree XP-G&#8217;s for a high noon. I&#8217;m probably going with the Inventronics 150w dimmable driver for the XR-E&#8217;s and the XP-E&#8217;s and an Inventronics 40w 1050mA dimmable driving the XP-G&#8217;s. I&#8217;m not sure on optics yet; figure I&#8217;ll play with this some once I get it built.

This should be more than enough to replace the 400w MH I&#8217;m currently running.

I&#8217;m hoping to order everything later this week for a single unit. Figure I&#8217;ll get it up and running over the 55 gal to see how things look with it.

The controller should not be an issue as I already have a Reefkeeper although it looks like I need another PC4:). The option I am currently reviewing is the same as above except I was planning on skipping the high noon cree's sticking with two 8 X 18 heatsinks to avoid the center brace and utilizing 3w Crees with 2 to 1 on Royal Blue to White for a total of 96 LED's. Two major sites seem to offer these readily was not sure if someone else knew of somewhere else to obtain them cheaper

if want full spectum you'll need some reds and greens, heres a pic of style I'd build for your size tank
IMG_0487-1.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_0492-1.jpg
alt="" />
you can send PM if you want more info on parts I used

IME you can BUY a fixture for the same or in some cases LESS than you can DIY one... and with a lot less worry.

This is assuming you use high end CREE lamps.

I remember when I did a 24 Cree Pendant that was only 15"x 8 the total cost was close to $400!

B

I'll finally get a day off tomorrow and will be able to get the list to you sorry for the wait

Guerry- Sounds good I have done some research this week and come up with what I think are some good choices but am anxious to see what you have as well. Need to come up with an interesting way to suspend this above my tank (no ceiling close by)

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59120">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59120</a>

start to finish, everything you need to know

it wont let me ask you a question on that link. you said you bought some stuff in the begging but no links. please send me more info thanx.

The cost of LED's are coming down. I built a 20 3W Cree LED fixture for my BC29 for $225 that I hooked to my Apex. I really like having the ability to DIM which budget LED fixtures don't typically include. My only wish? That I would have included 2-4 red/green LED's as well. It's not that I don't like my color but it's certainly not "natural".

On the bright side with just the RB's on the kids tell me that I now have the B&W clowns that I wanted and with the CW's on they get the orange and white ones they wanted. Everybody wins!

Back