LED driver question...

cosigner

Market
Reaction score
I just got two drivers from a friend. They are 24V 60W 2500mA each. Am I correct in that I can push 20 3W LEDs with each of them?

Edit: They are actually rated at 24V-60V....

The closest I can come up with is three strings of 8 (assuming 3v per led but probably 7) but it would drive them at over 800 ma, right? A lot of the chinese Led fixtures drive the Leds at 2w each, but I am not smart enough to understand those configurations...

Some one here could probably give you a schematic if we new what driver you have. Have a model number? Is there any adjustment to the current?

Edit: 60 v makes a difference. I am assuming you came to 20 by dividing 60 by 3.

The problem with that is that your current is way high. 3w leds are typically in th 700-800 ma range. You need to look into parallel circuits. They divide the current.

I agree, the current needs to be lowered. Here is a good link on how to determine how many LEDs the driver can handle.
http://www.rapidled.com/led-university-1/">http://www.rapidled.com/led-university-1/</a>
-Nick

Thanks for the help guys... it looks like the Cree XM-L leds are the ones they're intended to drive. Soooo, Metal Halide it is!

With 24 volts, you can drive up to 8 LEDs in series in a string, assuming 3v per led.

With 2500 mA, you would have to divide that into 4 strings of 8 leds each at 625 mA.

So that power supply will drive roughly 32 leds, give or take.

Edit: More voltage, more LEDs per string.. But they must all have the same number or approximate voltage.

That makes sense, since amps divide in parallel but remain constant in series... right? You sir are a life saver...

I get so confused when it comes to LEDs!

Cosigner;931394 wrote: That makes sense, since amps divide in parallel but remain constant in series... right? You sir are a life saver...

I get so confused when it comes to LEDs!

That is correct.

What's important is the current - take 2500 and divide by 4 or 5 or 6, and you get 625, 500, and roughly 416 mA respectively.

Find a current level that either matches the LEDs, or is slightly under it.. And that divider number tells you how many parallel strings you can have.

The voltage is less important - it will adjust to the output required to power the led strings, based on the combined voltage.

3v x 8 Leds = 24v
3v x 20 leds = 60v

These drivers are called constant-current drivers, because the current level is fixed and the voltage is variable.

Normal power supplies are constant-voltage, which is the opposite.

Ok, I found the actual specs:

Ok, looking at that driver specs says that it's a constant-voltage driver rather than a constant-current...

It will only output 24V at 2500mA (2.5A) - so you could technically use it as a LED driver, but you'll have to match the LEDs to the output voltage and the divided current.

That makes it somewhat more difficult to use, but you should be able to use it if you can match those parameters.

Yes, 8 per string... How many strings depends on the current draw of the Leds.

Back