LED Driver spec question

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
Let's say I need to drive 40x 3W LEDs, is my assumption right the driver needs to provide 120W minimum?

What's the amperage I should be looking at?

So,

to use a Meanwell with my Apex I would use the 0-10V (D-type) model?

Yes. I'm using ELN60-24D with three strings in parallel (with an inline 1A fuse on each string) to drive 21 XRE LEDs with each driver (2.5A/3=830 mA max each string). I've got 6 drivers for my 126 LEDs. The D model does the 0-10v dimming with the Apex, straight from the variable speed port right to the control input on the drivers.

If I had to do it again, I'd look for a driver that could do more LEDs in series and avoid so many parallel strings, but then you have the voltage safety issue... Look at the Meanwell HLG series or the Thomas Research drivers also.

I had a similar conversation with rapidled, basically I wanted to know which is the biggest drive currently available and how many (3W) LEDs it can drive. Here's the response:

The HLG-240 is a 240W driver, but the number of LEDs you can drive depends on what amperage you want to drive them at (you'll have to run parallel strings). The HLG-240-48 driver can output 48V and 5A meaning if you wanted each string to receive 1A, you could run 5 strings of 14 LEDs (70 LEDs per driver). If you didn't need each string to receive 1A then you could run even more LEDs per driver.

a>

Robb,
You can also look at Thomas Research Drivers I think RapidLed has them or can get them as there is a guy on RC and I have been following his thread and he used these drivers and used 2 on his build on his 210 to drive all his LED's. They put out higher voltages for a larger number of LED's and might want to read through his thread. (His screen name over on RC is nuclearheli) Lots of good info on this subject!

Back