LED Help

diprimak

Market
Reaction score
Hey all,

We have a Red Sea Max 130D (34g) and are interested in getting LEDs as a retrofit into the hood to grow corals and anemones. A couple of LFS (and sponsors) recommended the Ecoxotic Panorama Pro modules and Current ramp timer combination. I understand they are powerful enough with 3 strips and fit well within the hood - read that they should be mounted with space above them to vent heat. They seem very easy to install.

Anyhow I understand there are a few options for colors. We are considering the following:

Neutral
1 x 12,000k Panorama Pro 16w (8222) - white
2 x 445NM Panorama Pro 16w (8224) - blue

Blue
1 x 12,000k/445nm Panorama Pro 16w (8223) white/blue combo
2 x 445NM Panorama Pro 16w (8224) - blue

Thoughts?

Ken

looks like 2 55w pc's based on my google search. I would look into some other LED lights that fit in the hood, i haven't heard of anyone that's growing sps with those solely. plus for the price of 3 of them, i think you could get a much more powerful unit that's more versatile.

Look around and see what other folks are using for LED's, especially the ones that have success...
It's not the answer, but it's a piece of the pie.

Reef breeders photon48. Great light and doesn't break the bank. I don't know much about growing sticks with compacts and strips

Appreciate it. Really hoping to put something in the hood.

These are really nice - what is best way to protect fish from jumping out?

The Panorama Pro are nice lights but I wouldn't rely on them solely to grow any corals. Your best would be a DIY fixture or see if you can fit a radion in there or an AI nano (maybe 2 of them). Do you know how much space you have inside the hood when gutted?

Specs on the AI nano:
Compact - Dimensions: 4.28" x 5.57" x 1.47"

Panaroma are nice but they lack penetration power due to the low wattage leds. I would use the strips to supplement a few 3 watt bulbs. DIY are you best bet if price is a concern( but it look like your going to spend 500-600 on strips tho) You can have a very low profile

Appreciate all of the feedback. I am considering the reef breeder SuperLux 16 now since it has legs that stand on tank. I am hoping that I can create a ramp with the timer and intensity settings. Anyone know if this is true?

Also, pros and cons with removing the top?

Tx ken.

Back