LED Lighting recommendations

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
Hey all, getting started on building my 120 reef and I need some suggestions on LED lighting. I took a good 15+ years off from the hobby and at the time the only choice was halides, which i would rather stay away from. I absolutely love the Current Orbit LEDs but i hear mixed reviews on them. Some say no on a reef and others say its okay for soft corals. Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Tank size is 48x24x24

Thanks all :thumbs:

I would really suggest a led with T5 supplement, or visa versa. You will avoid alot of shading issues by adding t5 to the mix.

I'm running the orbits and all my soft corals are doing great. My tank is much smaller, it's a 20gal deep.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I'm a big fan of the reefbreeders photons. I've had them on my 90 for over a year and I'm very pleased. In my experience different LED units can look very different depending on the manufacturer. Where T5s and MH bulbs tend to look similar (as long as light temperature matches). I would suggest finding a tank that you like and buy the same lighting set up.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">-Nick</span></span>

I have two Kessil A360W-E's on my 120 - same dimensions as yours. They are more than enough light and I'm getting great color, great pop and great growth.

I run two 48" Orbits over my frag tank and so far I'm getting good growth from sps. However, it's only 7" deep and maybe 3" from my frag rack to my water line. So for a shallow reef it's been great for me. I'm sure I could get much more growth if I added more lighting. Just my two cents.

Crew;1027201 wrote: I have two Kessil A360W-E's on my 120 - same dimensions as yours. They are more than enough light and I'm getting great color, great pop and great growth.

+1. Same tank witb 2 kessils (Currently 1 360WE and 1 350W). Plenty of lighting power and beautiful coloration!

Fishdude;1027194 wrote: <span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I'm a big fan of the reefbreeders photons. I've had them on my 90 for over a year and I'm very pleased. In my experience different LED units can look very different depending on the manufacturer. Where T5s and MH bulbs tend to look similar (as long as light temperature matches). I would suggest finding a tank that you like and buy the same lighting set up.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">-Nick</span></span>

Good call, I agree.

Looks like i am now leaning towards the ReefBreeders 48 for my tank. Thanks guys!

Back