LED Lighting with MH Lighting

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Im retreading took my 125 gal 6' down several years ago. Im putting it back up and was wondering about the lighting. I have two 400 watt MH hanging fixtures like new condition and one that is toast. I was wondering if I could add a hanging LED light with the two MH or should I go in a different direction. If I hang an LED what wattage/Manufacturer etc.. would work well with two MH each about 22"

Ok so I got no response from 72 hits. Was it the way I ask or is it a stupid question?

Any 120 watt or more would work, but go with a longer and run it in front of the halides... Just my $.02

You can do them if you're using one on each side of the tank. It's not against the "rules" to use them together, but they're both spotlight style lighting and essentially doing the same thing (just differently). That's why T5s are used as a supplement with both because they can reduce shadowing on the underside of SPS corals especially.

I would say either go Mh/T5 or LED/t5. Kind of a waste otherwise.

tonymission;980655 wrote: You can do them if you're using one on each side of the tank. It's not against the "rules" to use them together, but they're both spotlight style lighting and essentially doing the same thing (just differently). That's why T5s are used as a supplement with both because they can reduce shadowing on the underside of SPS corals especially.

I would say either go Mh/T5 or LED/t5. Kind of a waste otherwise.

On A six foot tank would be kind of sweet to do LED-MH-LED-MH-LED with smaller box style LED fixtures like reef breeders value, etc

JDavid;980660 wrote: On A six foot tank would be kind of sweet to do LED-MH-LED-MH-LED with smaller box style LED fixtures like reef breeders value, etc

Yeah, if they each had their own spot on the tank for sure. I just don't think using them in the same 2-foot spot is going to be doing much besides adding glow (and frying corals).

Yeah they would have to be in a linear fashion a down the length of the tank, the color would blend and you could do two main rock formations under each halide and leave plenty of open sandbed for bottom dwelling LPS

Since u have 2 mh fixtures already, id buy 1 more mh fixture then add t5 for supplement lighting and color.

Or sell the mh fixtures and buy 3 led fixtures like reefbreeders or tao tronic. Unless u want to get high end leds. Wouldnt add and t5s unless u want sps. Then id add t5s. Not saying leds wont grow sps because they do. Ive done well with leds. But if if u have the extra $ to spend, id add t5s as well.

Do you usually have to buy mixed lights (t5/MH or t5/LED) as a combo light unit? The disadvantage with combo MH units is that you can't use an adjustable ballast with them right?

Back