LED mogul replacement

smoothie

Market
Reaction score
Anyone found anything about these bulbs yet? Aquariumdirect is selling them and they plug into the wall no ballast needed. $389ea, 120v and only offered in 10k is the only info I have found yet.

Interesting. I'm concerned with the PAR figures, though, since her comment was that they were a bit "yellow" in appearance. The Solaris I have has very high PAR for the wattage and looks nothing but crisp white (or blue, if you turn down the whites). The tank shots are hard to guage vs. the 400's. I wish she'd posted a shot with only the LED bulb on.

Anyone found anything on Reef Central about it?

Very cool -this is definitely worth watching. $400 is steep, but if you factor in a bulb, reflector, and ballast that you'd normally have, plus the potentially long life and lower energy usage, it's actually pretty reasonable.

I'd love to get some PAR statistics for these bulbs. I would be willing to switch over if I knew the actual readings. It's like buying the first model made of a car, you never know what you are going to get!

From her comments about "yellow light", I think these might be more like 6500K bulbs thank 10,000K bulbs. They may have been designed for hydroponic applications originally.

They were originally for street lights. Found you can get used ones for about 130 to try and play with, but you have to go through a rep. Can't find par anywhere yet.

I am hoping that one of the vendors will have these at the exhibit.

ares;210334 wrote: 28 LEDs. seems like that could easily light a 2x2' section of tank that a MH pendant ussually would.
Yup. The Solaris only has 25 per grid and it does a bang-up job. However the reflectors are about 1" or so in diameter. The reflectors on this light (if they are reflectors) aren't very big. I hadn't noticed that before.

if i can get some help on tracking down a used one i think i might give it a shot.

You could contact the company in canada that sells them as street lights. mailto:denis@ledel-international.com">denis@ledel-international.com</a> or
sylvain@.
Also on bbeled.com they have a breakdown of the bulb, but these are the 7k bulb @ 28 watts. Hopefully the aquarium direct bulb isn't the same one and is a real 10k bulb. If not, I am sure someone will have some out by Christmas:yes:

ares;210389 wrote: LEDs shouldnt require a reflector.
Actually, I guess "reflector" isn't the right word. They're more like spreader/diffusers. The bare LEDs are little spotlights.

Back