LED Project

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
So, I've recently just jumped onto the reef train. While I'm not new to aquariums, the type of the saltwater variety are so much more involved. As such, I try to do my homework and make the best decisions possible.

I'm trying to convince myself to build a LED fixture for my standard 125 gallon tank, and I have some questions...

1) Apparently, the CREE LED's are top notch and what everyone is using. Why? Are they so attractive because the manufacturer has a better reputation? or is there some tangible reason why the CREE LED's are the top choice?

2) Has anyone tried using the knock-off versions of the CREE LED's found on ebay? Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-X-3W-White-High-power-LED-Light-170Lm-20PCS-3watt-/130562084801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e661b4fc1">http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-X-3W-White-High-power-LED-Light-170Lm-20PCS-3watt-/130562084801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e661b4fc1</a>

3) The CREE XP-G's are rated at 5,000 to 8,300 degrees Kelvin. Does anyone know what causes the fluctuation?

4) RapidLED does a nice job of pairing the approriate driver with the LED's. If i'm going to mix and match parts, how do I determine if a driver will work for my use? What do the numbers in the driver name mean (i.e. - ELN-60-27P)?

Question #1 and 2 are by far the most important questions. I appreciate any information you can share. My intentions are to find the most affordable way to make a quality LED fixture and share the plans with you all.

Thanks!

I have purchased a couple of "Hong Kong" version CREE LED pendants off of Ebay for around $69.00 a bulb. The other two LED pendants are the $220 Orphek bulbs of the same style.

The difference IMO is that the Hong Kong LEDs came with a wireless remote that allowed me not only to dim them but also to change the colors, etc. and they are overall much brighter than the overpriced Orpheks when set to full power. Next time the replacements will be Honga Konga. Most of the sellers on there in my experience are more than willing to work out any problems and man can you save a lot of money versus what they are charging now for those silly little light fixtures!

Thanks for the info! After much thought, I'm going to buy a kit from Aquastyle. They use Bridgelux LEDs. Their prices are unbeatable, even with the shipping charges. I've asked my wife for the LED kit for Christmas, so I should be running by the first of the year.

Anyone have good suggestions for affordable heatsinks? Currently, I'm planning to spend $120 on heatsinks from aquastyle, but my gut tells me that I can do better than that. I've read a few forums on other sites where the person used 1" aluminum tubing. Is this something that can be picked up from Home Depot? Anyone have experience using the tubes? Or does anyone know of other affordable options for heatsinks?

I haven't tried these kits but my LED pendant uses the same LED's. There are a ton of reviews though on the other forums (RC and NR) for them...

a>

Received my led kit yesterday. I will be working on it this weekend. The goal is to have lights and and a canopy by Christmas. I'm currently working on a sketch up model to show you guys. Hopefully, you will provide some useful feedback.

General plan is to use aluminum flat bar to make a lighting rack and then mount it in a canopy which is suspended above the tank. I think the open air will help keep the leds cool. I'm debating on whether or not to include fans, but currently I'm leaning towards yes... to be continued.

Thanks for the tip big john. Very much appreciate it.

I tested all of the less, and they all work. I also felt like I was losing my vision during the process... I'm still figuring out how to use this forum. Here's a test pic.
B3D49E60-orig.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: That didn't work..
B3D49E60-orig.jpg
alt="" />

I've watched some videos on YouTube where the guy used two 100w LEDs. I think the down side of going this route is that you will have less control of the color. I imagine that finding a couple lights in the right spectrum will be a little difficult. However, I'm new to this, and have noexperience to draw from. Anyone else?

which kit did you end up getting? I want to look over a couple and try to determine color I like, then go completely overboard and make up too many for the tank. :) They are dimmable right?

wbrown;715566 wrote: which kit did you end up getting? ... :) They are dimmable right?

I ended up getting the 72 LED kit from http://www.aquastyleonline.com">www.aquastyleonline.com</a>. They use the bridgelux 3 watt LEDs. The drivers are Maxwellen (I believe) and they are dimmable (0-10v analog).

On another note, I'm getting close to finishing my model and will have it to post in the next day or so. I should be building by the weekend.

What heat sinks did you go with? Looking at doing something similar.

I'm using aluminum flat bar. I'm planning to not have an enclosed canopy. Hopefully the fans and open air will cool everything enough.

I constructed the light rack and attached the LEDs. Will post pics later. Next step is to wire everything together.

Looks great so far. Keep the pics coming I might copy you a little bit haha.

did you use flat on all of it. I would think over time depending on how it's mounted that it could flex and bend in the middle. just keep up the good work and keep posting

eagle9252;716556 wrote: did you use flat on all of it. I would think over time depending on how it's mounted that it could flex and bend in the middle. just keep up the good work and keep posting

Not sure what the technical term is, but I used aluminum angle iron (L shaped) on the outside edges. I'm planning to also have mounting support in the middle.

Thanks for the comment and looking after me :)

Drilling holes to better hide the wires. 100 down and 50 more to go. Then I can start wiring.

Posting progress...all less are mounted and work. Thank god!

Now to come up with a way to clean up the birds nest going to the drivers. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know if I can use one power chord to run 4 drivers? Ignorantly, I figure that it wouldn't be any different than plugging 4 chords up to a power strip. No?

8699EB49-orig.jpg
alt="" />
E1621953-orig.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: I hate auto correct! ** all leds are mounted...

Looks nice!

You sure can power all the drivers from 1 cord, the power draw isn't all that high. I use good quality PC power cords and just cut the end off.

here is what I did for power to my canopy. I don't have LEDS yet but T-5's. I used two power cords from old computer power supplies. I took the fans and power connections even the on and off toggle switches. I just used them for a quick disconnect. one has 2 hots 120vac 2 bulbs and 4 bulbs switched by timers and the other one has 12vdc for moon lights. the power cord is 18ga.

downsized_1226011321.jpg
alt="" />

downsized_1226011324-1.jpg
alt="" />

Back