LED Retro Kit for BC29

fishdude

Market
Reaction score
I've got one of the older models of the Biocube 29 and I'm thinking about getting a retrofit kit from either Rapid LEDs, Steve's LEDs or ReefLEDLights.com. I've done some research and compared the kits and each one is a little different. Has anyone used one of these kits before? Anything I need to look out for? Suggestions?
Thanks,
-Nick

I have the rapidled solderless kit for my oceanic 29 and have had many problems. Connections keep coming off because it gets to hot even with 2fans. Get the kit that you have to solder and you should be good.

I put a Rapid in my JBJ, haven't had any problems. You can order additional LEDs if you prefer different colors than what the kit comes with. It's fine for Softies and LPS.

Thanks for all the info, it seems most go with the Rapid LED kit. As far as the color/spectrum goes do you know of any websites that have good info? All the stuff I've read focuses on SPS. I'd like to keep 50/50 mix of SPS and Softies so I want to make sure I don't kill any coral. I've read stories of people killing off the symbiotic algae need for sarcophytons (toadstools), therefor killing the toadstool.

I have a Current USA Truelumen retrofit kit on sale this weekend :)

JennM;860163 wrote: I have a Current USA Truelumen retrofit kit on sale this weekend :)

If you haven't been to Jen's place you should check it out. She will take care of you and you can trust what she says is straight...

JennM;860163 wrote: I have a Current USA Truelumen retrofit kit on sale this weekend :)

Jenn, Thanks for the post! I just got home, so I missed the sale but I'm still looking for the right LED kit. I'd love to come check out your store sometime. I heard a lot of people putting the Truelumen kits into the smaller cubes (12 or 14 gallons) Would it be enough light in a 29 gallon Biocube to grow SPS. Have you heard of anyone getting two kits and installing 4 strips?
Thanks,
-Nick

SPS might be a stretch with the kit as it comes. I believe it comes with a 3-way splitter to add a third strip (sold separately, of course.. LOL). 2 kits with 4 strips gets spendy... in all honestly for the price of 2 kits, you could probably find a single fixture/retro with enough firepower to do the job.

Jenn

Back