LEDs and high pitch noise

civics14

Market
Reaction score
I have a pair of RapidLED Onyx, i like the lights and all, however when the units are driven around 30-70% it makes a high pitch noise. I reached out to RapidLED and they informed me that it was common and the noise is from the resistors.

It probably isn't normal, but I could hear a faint high pitch noise coming out of my led drivers that were using a pwm signal (which is essentially turning them on and off real fast.

I am not familiar with those fixtures, but this could be a possibility.

Back in the old days when I was in school and worked on mainframes. They use to call that resistor noise "Johnson Noise" It's caused by the quality of resister or temperature of the circuits. The higher the temperature or resistance the higher the pitching noise.

Reefkeeper;1046941 wrote: Back in the old days when I was in school and worked on mainframes. They use to call that resistor noise "Johnson Noise" It's caused by the quality of resister or temperature of the circuits. The higher the temperature or resistance the higher the pitching noise.

So, could it be because the resistors are cheap quality?

civics14;1046943 wrote: So, could it be because the resistors are cheap quality?

I would think it's more along the lines of they did a bad job securing it. I would ask them to fix it. Telling you it's common is bad customer service and shoddy craftsmanship.

civics14;1046943 wrote: So, could it be because the resistors are cheap quality?
I can understand your concerns, before you panic I would try to reach out to other users of the same fixture and see if they are exhibiting the same type issues. If they're not, I would suggest contacting the customer service person and share your input with them and see if they say.

Back