leds and marketing

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
It is insane the price that is being placed on corals that have been resurrected with actinic lights from leds. Some of the same corals you once could not give away are bringing 3 digits or better!!!!
Any old timers besides me noticed this? BTW not a complaint just bewildered. lol

Really examples from all species. Fewer from sps. Lots of zoas that are actually pretty plain without actinic. Mushrooms, chalices,brains,favias.a lot of softies of course. I think it b is a good thing. I don't find it deceitful in any way just way different than it was 10 years ago

Yep, it's amazing what's being sold based solely on actinic pics.

I had this conversation with someone just last week.
But yea I do see what you're talking about.
The advent of the super blue aquarium (which honestly hurts my eyes) has done some weird things to the market.
I think those that are taken in for it just don't know better.
Free market though.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Don't know about 10 years ago but I still want my corals to be colorful with MH. Using my iPhone MH tank pics is about the only decent pic's I can take.

Bummer I missed the last meeting, maybe I'd be able to use my good camera *_*

This thread does bring up an interesting question about "designer" or "limited edition corals".
I do understand that a coral is worth only what someone will pay for it,
but ... when it boils down to it...
they ARE ALL CORALS.
I think its silly for some to cost an arm and a leg just because the light used over them makes them glow.
Its like people
we're all the same on the inside.... stinky and pink

I love to occasionally look at my tank with full actinics. That said I seen a Kenya tree the other day that looked awesome under actinics but turn on the whites and they are pretty plain. $60:wow2:

Back