LEDs with T5 Supplement

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm upgrading to a 65g setup within the year. I'm wanting to keep my AI Sol fixture and use T5's as supplement lighting. At first I'll use one Sol fixture but may add a second later on. I'm planning on using 2 39W T5's, would that be good or should i go with 4? What bulbs would you recommend? I've always been using LEDs since I got into the hobby so I'm not up on my T5's.

I would go with 4 t5's, 2 on each side and put your led in the middle, that will give you great growth and color

I have 2 of the eShine LED units on my 60" 120g display, and simply used 2-48" T8's (one 423nm [magenta type color] and one 10,000k) for supplemental lighting. That more than does the job for my tank...

I have one 150w 20,000k MH in the middle of my canopy that I had laying around. Not needed. Just used it because it was laying around...

HiImSean;835130 wrote: I'm upgrading to a 65g setup within the year. I'm wanting to keep my AI Sol fixture and use T5's as supplement lighting. At first I'll use one Sol fixture but may add a second later on. I'm planning on using 2 39W T5's, would that be good or should i go with 4? What bulbs would you recommend? I've always been using LEDs since I got into the hobby so I'm not up on my T5's.

1x koralin zucht (sp?) Fiji Purple
(other 'purple/red' bulbs are not the same)

+

1x Actinic Purple (420nM)

These two bulbs fill in missing spectrum from most LED's (AI's too), plus add some fluorescence so your corals 'pop'.

ichthyoid;835799 wrote: 1x koralin zucht (sp?) Fiji Purple
(other 'purple/red' bulbs are not the same)

+

1x Actinic Purple (420nM)

These two bulbs fill in missing spectrum from most LED's (AI's too), plus add some fluorescence so your corals 'pop'.

+1. I'll post some pics of mine tonight with only one 423nm bulb on, and post it. It also gives depth to the appearance with all whites on as well. You'd be surprised...

When you say using T5's as supplemental lighting, can you futher define that? Are you just looking to light some dark spots, add color, or provide PAR?

Personally I would do this the other way around, using T5 as main lighting with the LED as supplemental to provide 'shimmer' and some range of colors.

That being the case, I would go with 2 Aqua Blue Plus:
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/t5-fluorescent/bulbs/24w/24w-aquablue-plus-t5-ho-fluorescent-gsm0009.html">http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/t5-fluorescent/bulbs/24w/24w-aquablue-plus-t5-ho-fluorescent-gsm0009.html</a>

Or if you do a 4 bulb (which I would do) I'd go with 2 Aquablue Plus, 1 fiji purple & 1 actinic white

I already have the sol and want to continue using it. With the 36" length of the tank, a single sol won't proved enough coverage. The t5s will help cover the ends of the tank while adding more to the light spectrum. I do like the color of most corals I have with the sol.

The thing I've found with LEDs is that the beams are VERY focused. 1/2" can make a MASSIVE difference in PAR, but the overall appearance when looking at the front of the tank you cannot tell.

T5's will augment & fix this while allowing the color of the LED's to come through and allow the LEDs to create the shimmer we love.

You can't go wrong with those Aqua blue + bulbs.

Does anyone have any before and after or with and without pics to show the benefits of adding t5s to leds?

tbryan;851443 wrote: Does anyone have any before and after or with and without pics to show the benefits of adding t5s to leds?

T5's have been around for many many years, and have produced incredible coral colors & growth. LED's are relatively new to the market and produce questionable results.

JeF4y;835859 wrote: The thing I've found with LEDs is that the beams are VERY focused. 1/2" can make a MASSIVE difference in PAR, but the overall appearance when looking at the front of the tank you cannot tell.

T5's will augment & fix this while allowing the color of the LED's to come through and allow the LEDs to create the shimmer we love.

You can't go wrong with those Aqua blue + bulbs.

I have a 6 bulb 48 in T5 I love the ATI Blue Plus You can tell the diffrence right away.
I have 3 blue plus , 1 10 K, 1 fiji purple, 1 Blue special ( 12-15k)
I have a Eshine Led 50 bulb x3 watt in the middle of the tank angled in and it covers about 3/4 of the tank ( 4 ft tank) . I use the Royal blues for 4 hr and I do run the whites for 2 hr
SPS seem to be likeing it and zoas love it. The colors when you just have the Royal blues look great

I have always been a fan of the Giesemann bulbs. The Lagoon Blues peak at just the right spots.

if its stand alone t5 I would use ATI blue + and ATI blue special.. (Blue + are blue .. blue specials are whitish).

if you need a daylight lamp. .find a GE 6500K. Its one of the best daylights out there

HiImSean how do you plan to mount the T5's? I have an AI SOL Blue over my 60 and wanted to add T5's as well....

I want a fixture with LEDs & T5s but there really isnt anything worth while on the market... Ugh

Darren24;851583 wrote: HiImSean how do you plan to mount the T5's? I have an AI SOL Blue over my 60 and wanted to add T5's as well....

I'm just going to retro fit the T5's into the hood. I'm planning on using this kit
http://www.reefgeek.com/36-2x39w-miro-4-t5-high-output-retrofit-kit.html">http://www.reefgeek.com/36-2x39w-miro-4-t5-high-output-retrofit-kit.html</a>

Prolly start with 2 bulbs. I may add 2 more down the road or add another SOL, not sure.

[QUOTE=][B]renoeb;851585 wrote:[/B] I want a fixture with LEDs & T5s but there really isnt anything worth while on the market... Ugh[/QUOTE]

besides the ATI fixture which would cost more than most of my setup.

Ok got it. Unfortunately I do not have a hood or canopy so I guess I will wait for a combo unit...

These will save you a few more $. I run these and really like them.

a>

Darren24;851589 wrote: Ok got it. Unfortunately I do not have a hood or canopy so I guess I will wait for a combo unit...

You may be able to make a mount out of some aluminum or sheet metal and mount the AI inside. I've seen stuff at Home Depot that could make a nice mounting rack.

MrFlameangel;851590 wrote: These will save you a few more $. I run these and really like them.

http://www.hellolights.com/36-inch-2-x-39w-t5-ho-retrofit-kit.aspx">http://www.hellolights.com/36-inch-2-x-39w-t5-ho-retrofit-kit.aspx</a>[/QUOTE]

thanks, i'll compare the two later :D

Back