Legs wasting on a sand sifting star fish

cooper

Market
Reaction score
Group:

What is causing the legs (mainly the tips) of my sand sifting star fish to waste away?

Thanks.

How long have you had it? Usually necrosis happens from improper acclimation - and it may not have been "you" - if it was improperly acclimated anywhere along the chain of custody, it can happen, and can take days or weeks to start.

Sometimes sand sifters can survive that, and bounce back, and regenerate the legs - more so than most other species of sea star - I'd make sure your params are good, then just watch and wait. I've done ampuations on necrotic legs, but it's a risky procedure, and odds are better for the critter if you watch and wait - but it could go either way.

Jenn

Maybe a hitchhiker crab thats its trying to eat him??? I would also check your water params.....stars are very sensitive to water changes. Sometimes limbs fall when they are stressed. Proper acclimation is very important as well. How long have you had him???

It could simply be starving to death, which is pretty normal in the home reef for these guys.

I have had this starfish for about 6 months. Same thing happened to the one before him after many months. If they are starving, what should I feed them? I keep my water parameters pretty ****ed stable.

Please post a photo. I may be misinterpreting what you call "wasting". A visual will confirm either way.

There's nothing you can really feed them. They simply live off the fauna found in the sand.... which they will wipe out in short order. You could move him to someone else's tank... that's about all :sad:. Sorry.

Thanks Jenn. I will try to get one up later, but I am afraid you just exposed the fact that I am technologically "challenged".

FutureInterest;318124 wrote: There's nothing you can really feed them. They simply live off the fauna found in the sand.... which they will wipe out in short order. You could move him to someone else's tank... that's about all :sad:. Sorry.

Respectfully disagree with that... ever see how fast a pod can move, versus how slowly a sand star moves? If that were true, I'd have no pods - and our systems are teeming with them, despite the fact that I bring in sand stars 3-6 at a time. They are scavengers and feed on whatever they find - waste, bacterial film, etc. While they don't fare well in a small tank where they don't find enough to eat, IMO they aren't a threat to the pod population.

Jenn

Never said they ate pods specifically. :) In fact I doubt that's part of their diet so in that we can find harmonious agreement. I was thinking more along the lines of other slower, benthic organisms. What they actually eat is a bit of a mystery but in most home aquariums they do indeed die of starvation with the symptoms indicated supra. They seem to do alright in some systems though, typically the larger ones.

Agreed. However if the "wasting" that OP is talking about is tissue necrosis (hence a photo would confirm or refute this) - it's a parameter or change issue - which is what we're trying to determine here.

Jenn

Slowly withering away at the 6 month mark on two occassions seemed to indicate starvation to me. I'm not sure how a photo would help since starvation leads to tissue necrosis as well... You're the expert though :). I'm just an average hobbyist. If there's different kinds of tissue necrosis in this particular type of starfish which would indicate a causal link then so be it! No worries.

Cooper;318089 wrote: Group:

What is causing the legs (mainly the tips) of my sand sifting star fish to waste away?

Thanks.

This conjured up a mental postcard of necrosis for me.

A pic would definitely confirm things.

Jenn

I'm nobody's expert... just "experienced".

If there's visible necrosis/white stringy crap and rotting flesh - that's likely a water quality issue.

If it's just "shrinking" that's another story - and yes, possibly starvation.

Another thing to try - turn the star on its back and time how long it takes to right itself. Healthy echinoderms can right themselves in under 1 minute. If it takes longer, it's sick/weak. While necrosis does indicate a definite health problem, gauging how long it takes to flip back may help figure if it's likely to survive or not if the underlying problem is addressed.

Jenn:

What water quality issue should I test?

I test Alk about every other day. It had gotten down to right at 8 and I raised it back up to 9 over about 36 hours. But I had already noticed the problem before that.

The "wasting" is just like the tips or dissolving. There isn't any stringy white stuff. Instead, you can just see the tissue sort of dissappearing and now the legs look more like stumps.

IME, salinity affects sea stars more than any other creatures in our tanks. especially rapid salinity changes. If you don't have an ATO it's worth investing in one for multiple reasons but particularly if you want to keep a sea star of any kind.

Of course, other params can affect them too especially PH and supposedly oxygen levels though Ive never measured my oxygen. Another thing to keep in mind is that when you place them in the tank they should not be exposed to air AT ALL.

Agreed that most stars eventually starve in home aquariums however, sand sifters are amongst the hardiest. I had mine for over 2 years in a 30 long with a 20 long fuge and it did great. Deep sand beds help a ton with these guys so thats another thing to look out for. If your tank is small and has a shallow sand bed, thats a bad combination for a sand sifter.

I sold mine to someone in the club when I moved and I think its still sifting... :)

I've heard people say that about not exposing to air - doesn't matter in my experience. Sponges and gorgonians yes - sea stars no - although I would not dawdle about getting it into the water - I've never had one up and die because it hit the air when it was moved from tank to bag, bag to acclimation tub or tub to tank.

pH and specific gravity are the most important for these - and the ATO suggestion is good unless you're really on top of topping off. Water gets low - specific gravity creeps up, top it off, specific gravity drops again... those kinds of swings can spell trouble.

I've had customers keep linckias for years - I have had them in personal tanks for years... in the shop they sell before too long... ditto with sand stars and serpent and brittle stars. Stable parameters, decent water quality and a food source is what they need.

Jenn

Thanks everybody. I will keep an eye on things. Stopped using my auto top off for a few months because I don't like seeing it in my living room. I think that correlates with the star fish problems. I put it back on line about a week ago.

Back