Let my ego complacency be your lesson

jef4y

Market
Reaction score
I sit here typing this, absolutely beside myself with frustration, disgust and embarrassment for the most elementary oversight/neglect that one could possibly make which just cost me 2 prized fish, neither of which were cheap or deserved to die.

I did everything "right" (less ONE crucial step). I waited almost 2 months for my newly transferred DT to settle before considering adding anything. I setup a dedicated QT. I had bio media in my sump for +6 weeks before putting it in the QT.

Got my fish, acclimated them and put them in QT for the 2 week wait. Temp had some swings of up to 2 degrees, but they seemed to manage just fine. Both ate twice a day and I painstakingly watched them to make sure they ate and ate enough to remain healthy without leaving excess food in the QT.

I executed a 1 gallon water change (15 gallons in the QT) daily to keep things clean.

All seems perfect right? Ask yourself what's missing...

In all this, I never bothered to test the water. Why? Arrogance, complacency, laziness, you name it. I didn't bother testing because I was confident in my salt mix, and BELIEVED that I had enough bio media and was doing a large enough water change to keep things stable. "I've been doing this for years"

I was wrong.

Yesterday morning the pair of fish (Starry Blenny and Bellus Angel) were not as sharp/alert as they had been previously. I noticed it and should have acted. Instead I opted to observe. They were still eating so I thought they were okay.

By last night, the blenny was dead. And the Angel appeared stressed.

There was no sign of anything parasitic or obvious on the fish. I immediately tested the water and found the ammonia in the water to have spiked (I forget the number but it was substantially higher than my DT). All other parms were pretty decent, but the ammonia was my first guess and first test to come back substantially out of line.

So now I had 1 dead fish and one on the way out.

At that point I felt I had 2 choices. A massive water change in the QT or get the Angel into the DT. I felt either was a risky proposition and could result in death, so I went for what I felt would be the better chance for survival. I put the angel in the DT.

She swam around the top, obviously stressed from the QT and environment change. I just hoped she was strong enough. This morning she was hanging out in one spot and I was pretty sure she was on the way out but hoped as much as I could for her to beat it. 2 hours later she was being eaten by crabs.

I'm not posting this for sypmathy because I deserve none. I KNEW better! In fact, you're welcome to criticize every ounce of this. I've openly chastized others for this SAME MISTAKE. And here I sit, a student of the same stupidity with nothing or no one to blame but myself.

Learn something from this mistake that cost me a couple hundred bucks and more importantly, 2 PERFECT fish. Don't EVER take short cuts. Don't THINK you know better. Don't let your EGO get in the way of taking the steps you KNOW you need to.

Hate to hear this man. It's definitely a hobby that penalizes us for shortcuts and rule bending.

B

;)

Wow, sorry to hear about this Jeff. I know how excited you were about the Bellus. Don't worry man, I'll get you another one and give you an amazing deal on it. I have Starries in stock all the time as well.

This seems to be a pretty common problem. I think a quarantine tank, if implemented, should be taken as seriously as the DT. This hobby love to teach us lessons the hard way, huh?

If you have been in this hobby, long enough you will do things like this. Some times it happens and you wonder, why did I do that even with the best of intentions? We are just need to reload and keep on doing things the right way. Sorry for the loss.
Joe

I have dodged a few bullets in my time by being too complacent. I hate that this happened to you and your fish. I hope we all will use your experience as a reminder to do what we know is right. I have a few things at home that need my attention. I think I will tend to them tonight.

Thanks, Jeff, for sharing.

Rskillz;792995 wrote: Wow, sorry to hear about this Jeff. I know how excited you were about the Bellus. Don't worry man, I'll get you another one and give you an amazing deal on it. I have Starries in stock all the time as well.

This seems to be a pretty common problem. I think a quarantine tank, if implemented, should be taken as seriously as the DT. This hobby love to teach us lessons the hard way, huh?

Thanks Ryan. If you get another female, let me know. You don't owe me any kind of deal/discount. This was all on me.

I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned and put my ego back in check.

Edit: And thanks for the kind words folks. I do appreciate them. Just don't want to see anyone make the same stupid mistake I did. Totally avoidable. Just gotta pay close attention.

It also REALLY points out the fact that changes happen very rapidly in small tanks. That's one I knew about but haven't had to worry about for several years since I've had larger tanks.

Sorry to hear that . But just so you know , I just went and checked and worked on my QT. That means your lost / lesson has helped atleast 1 person and I am sure many will read this and check also.
As I was reading I thought **** I was thinking along the same lines as you on I have had my QT set up for 7-8 mths added matrix few pcs live rock few crabs and snails just while nothing was being treated . I always water change once aweek maybe 1 1/2 weeks when busy but I am guilty of over feeding and sure enough my Amonia was high also.
I check PH, Alk, Salinity but I guess lately I have not checked Amonia thinking since I change water weekly everything should be good. I do clean the tank every week but sometimes a guess a few extra pcs of shrimp and a dead hermit here and there can effect the water quality quickly in a small tank. ( My QT tanks 10 gal). Again I know how you feel, I love this hobby but 1 thing I hate is when your fish start getting sick or headed downhill and you can try diffrent things but you have to watch and observe while they die and That Stinks.

I think any of us that has been in this hobby for a while have had something like this happen to us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Containerman - Thanks. That's exactly what I hoped would be the outcome.

I am really sorry to hear it man. You are a good reefer and at least you learn from your mistakes. Some do not and just chalk it up to loss.

Very sorry to hear this Jeff. :-( While it is good that you identify what you could do better in the future, don't beat yourself up too much. You can also take a little hope that your comments have helped others in more ways than you thought. One of the things I get from your story is your comment about how you have addressed others who have had similar circumstances happen to them. Sometimes we all need to remember that we can speak a little too harsh and quick and maybe we should nurture instead of chastise.

Jeff....first, sorry for your loss. I know how that feels. Second, thanks for being open and honest about the lesson. It reminds us all that we are not perfect even though we'd like to think we are. Anytime you take an animal out of its natural environment, there are risks and we should all recognize that.

Jeff,

I think you have everyone on the boards paranoid now. I bet every single person will be home checking QT tanks. Even people checking RO water for Nitrates!
So, just a forewarning, there will be a lot of spouses blaming you tonight for the rest of us spending just a little longer with our tanks when we get home.:shades:
Hope that will give you just a bit of a giggle in light of what happened on your end. Sorry for the loss man. I lost my Coral Beauty after putting him in the QT for misbehaving. Thought if I removed him for a month, that might calm things down. Basically same type of deal as you had, slowly stopped eating, and then passed. Didn't really find the reasoning behind mine. I do know, I could have spent a little more time caring for the QT.

I usually change the display water then 90% of the qt water gets removed to add the "waste" display water. When I have fish in qt I just change the water more often in both, when I don't qt can go months with no w/c.
I don't test either

Wow! That blows, sorry for your loss.....we havee all made errors....

On a side note, what Ammonia test kit are you using?

mysterybox;793183 wrote:
On a side note, what Ammonia test kit are you using?

Most of my test kits are from API. Not the best, and some are probably expired, but there was a clear and significant difference between the QT and the DT.

I do have some Salifert tests but most of the stuff is API.

Thinking right now I'll leave the QT sit and cycle itself and also pick up some of the bacteria additives (not sure what is the latest/greatest stuff)

I think I found the culprit or a huge contributor to my ammonia spike. I was cleaning out the QT and pulled the pad from the filter. It had a substantial amount of ROTTING FOOD in it. It smelled of death.

The little things we forget/overlook will bite us in the end.. Just posting in case anyone is following along and can benefit.

As a follow up, I drained the QT, cleaned everything (put the bio media back in my main system sump) and ran new water in it. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a Yellow Tang and give this QT thing another go-round.

Back