Let there be LIGHT!

wbholwell

Market
Reaction score
I finally finished installing my T5s into the canopy of my 72 bowfront. The difference in the amount of light (compared to 302 Watts of PCs) is amazing.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Nice. I just switched from a MH / PC unit to a MH / T5 unit and there is a noticeable difference.

Darren

KRB;35488 wrote: how many watts of T5s are you running?

A total of 309 (five 54 Watts bulbs and 1 39 Watt bulb). They <u>barely</u> fit in there! I'm kinda bummed though, b/c I won't be able to upgrade to the new Tek II reflectors (they're 3" wide.) Guess I'll have to settle for Icecaps.

Looks Great Bryan! Let me know how you like them, I'm thinking about getting them on m 30G

Maroons15;35490 wrote: Looks Great Bryan! Let me know how you like them, I'm thinking about getting them on m 30G

I say go for it. Get retros, though, with good reflectors- that's what makes the difference. You won't have the heat build-up like you will with MHs.

I'll have to do some research and maybe you could help me retrofit them. Lol I'll need a hood though.

I have the same tank and have been trying to figure out how to do this.

Did you mount the Lights to the Canopy itself?
Is your canopy wood?
Since it all Barely fits, how do you access your tank?

I am sorry to ask so many questions.

Thanks.
Delaney

delaneymohr;35526 wrote: I have the same tank and have been trying to figure out how to do this.

Did you mount the Lights to the Canopy itself?
Is your canopy wood?
Since it all Barely fits, how do you access your tank?

I am sorry to ask so many questions.

Thanks.
Delaney

No problem. Yes, the canopy is wood, and I screwed the standoffs for the sockets directly into the canopy. The light at the very back actually sits closer to the water because it's on a thicker piece of wood. The problem with this setup is that I <u>can't</u> access the tank without removing the canopy. I can, however, lift the door on the hood and insert a sea squirt between the bulbs. I can also reach behind the canopy and drop food in the water. One solution to this problem (and I may do this in the future) is to replace the 5th bulb from the back with another 36" bulb. This bulb would be mounted directly to the door, and would swing up with the door when opened. Still, you'd only have about 3 1/2" of space between bulbs.

Maroons15;35496 wrote: I'll have to do some research and maybe you could help me retrofit them. Lol I'll need a hood though.

I'm thinking of retrofitting mine also.:fish: I have a 30" Current/Universe 130w PC setup and since the T5's come in 24 and 36 inch lengts we'll have to use the 24's so there should be plenty of room inside any current hood your using. Now if I can only find a way to pay for it and not let my wife find out I'm good to go! lol:unsure:

Back