lethotremus awae

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
I was surfing RC and found a thread about this fish. They said they need to be kept at about 55 degrees and don't get bigger than an inch. They come from Japan and get no bigger than an inch. They are about $140 each. I am also the one that posted about a species tank, mabey i could try these fish. Here are some pics.
dangouo20080330ba.jpg
alt="" />

http://www.mkanyo.jp/onsendayori/A%20Lethotremus%20awae35s.JPG" alt="" />

[IMG]http://gruntsculpin.com/Lethotremus%20awae87.jpg alt="" />

They also come in bright green and brown colors.

Seems like it would be a lot of extra care for a small fish (having to spend the extra money on a chiller and all the other challenges of a cold reef) and a lot of money for them.

They look neat but I think I would be dissapointed in my decision to spend the money it requires to buy/house them as opposed to spending that money making a really awesome other species tank. Especially at only 1'' in a 30g tank.

You would need a thick tank to keep the water at that temperature.

Wierd looking fish. But at only 1", would you really ever see them and enjoy the tank?

Skriz;295057 wrote: You would need a thick tank to keep the water at that temperature.

Wierd looking fish. But at only 1", would you really ever see them and enjoy the tank?
They have little sucktion cups on thir belly and since they have that they will stay in any place in the tank. + with these fish I could also have a catalina goby.

Skriz;295057 wrote: You would need a thick tank to keep the water at that temperature.

I have 2-50 gal lobster tanks that have about 1"-1 1/2" thick glass and compressor to cool it. I someone is interested let me know and I can take some pics if you want them.

twistoflime;295062 wrote: They have little sucktion cups on thir belly and since they have that they will stay in any place in the tank. + with these fish I could also have a catalina goby.

I think that the catalina would not survive in 55 degree water for long. You would need really cold water fish for tankmates.

Tim

Like sweedish fish! Mmmmmm.....swedish fish......

Need a whole bowl of them to snack on.

tim8111;295070 wrote: I think that the catalina would not survive in 55 degree water for long. You would need really cold water fish for tankmates.

Tim

Actually, that is just about spot on. You can check the NOAA website for current data and a break down through out the year for the area in which they are collected.

theplatypus;295152 wrote: Actually, that is just about spot on. You can check the NOAA website for current data and a break down through out the year for the area in which they are collected.

I was going off the information of 68 to 74 degrees that was on several websites. But doing a deeper google I found one that suggest upper 50's and lower 60's. Most places seem to suggest mid to upper 60's.

the Catalina Goby prefers the cooler temperatures associated with the island where found, Catalina Island, off the coast of Los Angeles, California. Temperatures there range from 68 to 75ºF.

Native to the deeper and colder ocean waters off the coast of Los Angeles, the Catalina Goby is a temperate fish that prefers cooler water temperatures, especially by typical saltwater standards. Although it will tolerate warmer, tropical water temperatures, the Catalina Goby does best in aquariums with cooler water temperatures. To best recreate natural environmental conditions found near Catalina Island, maintain an aquarium water temperature in the mid-60°F range.

yeah, if you have thin glass, you'll never be able to see in. have you seen what a glass of cold ice water does after it sits for a while? Condensation city!

Back