Let's see your frag tanks

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I picked up a 40br at petco but I have no idea what to do with it. One idea is a frag tank. Let's see those frag tanks and equipment running them.

1057228=64857-IMG_20151102_081259721.jpg
>
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20151102_081259721.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Sorry I couldn't resist :D GL with your project!

ElitheLion;1057228 wrote:
>
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20151102_081259721.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

How many gallons?

ElitheLion;1057228 wrote:
>

Based on the general smart-assery around this forum, I was really expecting a crib. But then I remembered your project. It's looking great. Glad to see it coming along.

Going to be setting up a frag tank next to my DT but trying to find out the best way to plumb it into my main sump - don't want to run a separate system. The only problem would be the difficult angles getting it into my stand. Any suggestions?

Have to see the stand/tank. What set up are you running? Is your stump the usual below the tank in a cabinet? You could plumb the frag to the DT or the sump depending on the set up. If your display tank is up high you could plumb it to a low frag tank using a gravity fed system. If you you post some pictures of the set up I don't think you'd have any problem getting ideas.

Reefcharger;1057416 wrote: Going to be setting up a frag tank next to my DT but trying to find out the best way to plumb it into my main sump - don't want to run a separate system. The only problem would be the difficult angles getting it into my stand. Any suggestions?

I have a 30g shallow reef frag tank and a 120 DT next to each other. Both are plumbed down into my sump room. If Im reading your post correctly you want to plumb yours into your sump under your DT. Just T off your return line and valve them so you can control the flow on each tank (the DC pumps work great for fine tuning flow). I would run both drains independently into your sump. Pretty simple. :)

ElitheLion;1057420 wrote: Have to see the stand/tank. What set up are you running? Is your stump the usual below the tank in a cabinet? You could plumb the frag to the DT or the sump depending on the set up. If your display tank is up high you could plumb it to a low frag tank using a gravity fed system. If you you post some pictures of the set up I don't think you'd have any problem getting ideas.

Gravity fed through a HOB overflow? Here is the setup
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1057425=64887-image.jpg
>
1057425=64887-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Bcavalli;1057422 wrote: I have a 30g shallow reef frag tank and a 120 DT next to each other. Both are plumbed down into my sump room. If Im reading your post correctly you want to plumb yours into your sump under your DT. Just T off your return line and valve them so you can control the flow on each tank (the DC pumps work great for fine tuning flow). I would run both drains independently into your sump. Pretty simple. :)

That's what I was thinking but dreading redoing the plumbing lol. I do have a manifold line with an extra valve I can use for the frag tank. I'm scared with the long distance and the 2-3 extra elbows I'd have to add that I would lose too much flow. The return would be tricky as well - would've been a lot easier to plan this beforehand lol. I would definitely need to drill more holes in the back of the stand as I have no room for plumbing with all the wiring currently going through the holes I have.

Reefcharger;1057428 wrote: That's what I was thinking but dreading redoing the plumbing lol. I do have a manifold line with an extra valve I can use for the frag tank. I'm scared with the long distance and the 2-3 extra elbows I'd have to add that I would lose too much flow. The return would be tricky as well - would've been a lot easier to plan this beforehand lol. I would definitely need to drill more holes in the back of the stand as I have no room for plumbing with all the wiring currently going through the holes I have.

I added mine after the fact and it was a lot easier than I had envisioned. More than likely you will need to upgrade that return pump or add another. Personally, I really like the Jaebo DC pumps they are inexpensive and effective. :) Your always welcome to drop by my place and see my setup, it may give you some ideas on what may work for your setup.

Bcavalli;1057439 wrote: I added mine after the fact and it was a lot easier than I had envisioned. More than likely you will need to upgrade that return pump or add another. Personally, I really like the Jaebo DC pumps they are inexpensive and effective. :) Your always welcome to drop by my place and see my setup, it may give you some ideas on what may work for your setup.

I have a Vectra M1 running at about 65% so cranked up I may be able to pull it off. Worst case I add in an extra powerhead. Would you mind sending me a picture if it's even possible lol

Reefcharger;1057440 wrote: I have a Vectra M1 running at about 65% so cranked up I may be able to pull it off. Worst case I add in an extra powerhead. Would you mind sending me a picture if it's even possible lol

Sure pm me for my cell # and I'll send you some pictures via text.

Back