lets talk clams!!!

thekid55

Market
Reaction score
what do you need for these guys as far as water quailty and flow and food?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
34933=2102-clam22.jpg
>
34933=2102-clam22.jpg
class="gc-images" title="clam22.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I've had clams for 4 years and never fed DT's.

Good water quality (low nutrients) very high light and you need to keep your cal, alk, and mag levels correct.

Rob

Clams have some simple basic requirements- BRIGHT light, adequate calcium (400ish), and alkalinity (7-10 dkh). Other than that, the typical reef aquarium parameters of salinity, temp, etc. are ideal. As rhomer stated, clams don't "need" to be fed. The can and do filter feed, but our aquariums typically will provide mopre than enough "natural" foods.

Some things to be concerned about environmentally (beyond what we discussed above)- inappropriate tankmates and some clam specific diseases. For example, fish or inverts that pester a clams mantle can easily kill the clam, and some pathogenic issues like pinched mantle disease can also kill a clam rather quickly. Be sure to do a lot of reading, clams are often very misunderstood.

glxtrix;34984 wrote: and as rob said, keep your eye on Mg, thats huge in clam keeping!

I'll probably get labelled a trouble maker again for this, but... while magnesium can effect the availability of calcium and carbonate i n a series of very intricate biocehmical manners, there is little (understood) need for the clam to have it otherwise. Clams use calcium and carbonate specifically for valve (shell) growth, and phosporous, nitorgen, and carbon for soft tissue (and other tissue) growth, but Magnesium is not an intregal ingredient as known.

Frequent, regular wter changes should supply the suitable Mg needed (in my own personal, and highly debatable, opinion).

I've never seen one that color, where can you get them? I have a beautiful Maxima that I got from Capp. Bay but they don't have green ones.

full green croceas arent very common (at least in north america), and likewise with green maximas. Good find.

Total agree with jmaney here. Mg really just helps keep everything balanced.

But ya you don't have to feed them. They really really really love light. In fact they are they only animals with symbotic algea that we can't seem to oversaturate with light. In other words provide to much is impossible. So high, high light, they are pretty flexible on the flow but not so high that it turn their mantles, good reef parameters and you should be successful. They actual don't mind slightly dirty water. They will uptake nitrogen (nitrates) and phosphorus so pristine water is not neccessarily needed.

Back