Lets talk Dosers!!

indecloudzua

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

wanted to get some thoughts and inputs on automatic dosers. which ones are people using and what are your likes/dislikes and any problems you've encountered with them. im needing one in a bad way but want to see what everyone is using while im reading up on various models. thanks in advance!

In the past (I have a Calcium Reactor now)  I used a Jaebo doser for about two years.  I never expereinced an issue with it and it worked as expected.

Great topic, about 2 years ago I wanted to get away from manual dosing a 2 part (I'm using B Ionic 2 part). First doser I bought was a the Jeabo but after a week of failed calibrating I returned it and spent the money on a GHL doser.  The GHL was expensive but very precise in calibrating and dosing.  I've used it a couple of years int no issues.

I use the Pacific Sun Kore 5th doser. It’s a five head doser and they are coming out with a seven head doser. Lots of features, and very accurate. Some people have issues with understanding the software, but I’ve never had a problem.

Ive been experimenting with the triton "method" and iam getting tired of manually dosing my tank. ive been hesitant to try the jaebo from some stories about them. Ive looked at the GHL doser but its freakin pricey.

The reported issues with the jaebo doser (in my humble opinion) was partly due to human error.   One person put it away for a few months and got it back out without recalibrating it and dumped a ton of alk into the tank. However, if you have redundancies in place (such as a controller monitoring down stream) it would shut the doser off in the event of an overdose.  I personally loved it and it worked great for me.

EDIT to Brett's post.... I'm going to take a stab in the dark to say he meant "Shut" instead of the other "S" word! ROFLMAO! I have used all three of the dosers posted above. I used the Jaebo for about 6 months. Never had an issue with it but was just afraid of it. I switched to the Kore 5th. Extremely well built and nice looking, costly too! It work well for me for a month. It just stopped working one day and the screen displayed hieroglyphics. I had to contact Pacific Sun, located in Poland. That was interesting because they are 5 hours ahead of us. In any case, their chief engineer was able to get me back on track. I sold that unit and purchased a  three head GHL. I never used it and have it in the closet as a backup.  I switched over to the Triton method two months ago and wanted a doser that I felt comfortable with. What I finally settled on was the Neptune DOS. I had one which has performed flawlessly for a year. I picked up a second one and they are what I have on my system now.

I'm a big fan of the Neptune DOS and that's what I'm using on my system. If you have an Apex it just makes sense to get the DOS. The level of detail and control over the programming, logging/graphing trends, not to mention the ease of programming are all totally worth it.

I've been using the BRS dosers for probably 5 years now and never had any problems with them.  I would highly recommend assuming you have a reef controller to operate them.  Very economical and reliable for me.  I did replace the rubber hose inside after 3 years but only out of my personal desire to make sure they stay in good shape, didn't see anything wrong with them.

I'd probably try out the Jebaos. I've never had problems with the powerheads or pumps. Well.. One of the pumps died after almost 3 years of use. I replaced it with another I had on hand and let that one soak for about a week. I haven't tried to salvage it. It was definitely the pump though, and not the power supply or controller like some say go quickly. BRS would probably be my second choice. I like their customer service. If I had any initial issue with it I feel they'd send me another one immediately and then figure out what was going on.

I took the plunge on a Jebao for now with the thought of getting the Neptune DOS system..just hard to convince the wife to spend 1000 on that right now.lol.

Back