Leviathan

mhandley92

Market
Reaction score

Have you guys heard of this before? What do you think?

I've read alot about Reef-Pi and thought it would be awesome to run these types of controls from a Raspberry Pi. I'm techie, so I love the idea of buying these pre-made kits that even control power for much less than an apex. I wouldn't want to skimp on reliability though.

I dont have alot of automation in my current setup. I have many parts setup on Alexa controllable switches with routines. For instance, the blue light schedule on at 9am and off at 10pm. Alexa turns the white lights on at 11am and off at 8pm. I can use voice command to make turning the pump/skimmer on/off easier. That doesnt do any monitoring, or changing statuses of device based on the monitoring inputs.

Cool concept though. Would love to hear everyone's feedback on it before I try to grab one. Lol

I’d love a more affordable controller but I don’t think I’d trust my tank to some guy selling them or trying to make a kickstarter product.

If I was making a controller myself, if I even knew how to do that, it’d be a different story. There’s no support or warranty for a product being tested. There’s no one to say “yeah I’ve used this product for 3+ years and it’s great.” Something like this is not what I’d buy on the cheap for my tank.

If I had a tank that say had some junk left over corals that I didn’t have an investment in I’d consider it.

That's cool. To bad I'm making my own I would ha e really considered backing this Kickstarter.

I almost want to support his kickstarter in the hopes that I just may one day lead to some competition in the controller market. However, the Pi options has been around for while if you're in to doing whatever exactly that entails. Seem to me that this project is basically an offer to put together a bunch of stuff that you can use with a Pi but you'd really need to know what you're doing in order for it to function correctly and/or troubleshoot. I might complain about the high prices of Neptune Systems but the form factor is great, even I can work with it to make it do what I want it to do and the components that go with it are readily available (for a price of course). I think it's a great idea for someone who would want to go the Pi route and have some of the work done for them.

I almost want to support his kickstarter in the hopes that I just may one day lead to some competition in the controller market. However, the Pi options has been around for while if you're in to doing whatever exactly that entails. Seem to me that this project is basically an offer to put together a bunch of stuff that you can use with a Pi but you'd really need to know what you're doing in order for it to function correctly and/or troubleshoot. I might complain about the high prices of Neptune Systems but the form factor is great, even I can work with it to make it do what I want it to do and the components that go with it are readily available (for a price of course). I think it's a great idea for someone who would want to go the Pi route and have some of the work done for them.
That's very true. Troubleshooting would be complicated for the majority of people. It's not as plug and play. I hope they do serve as competition in the market.

Back