LFS Coral pricing

snarky shark

Supporting
Reaction score
I went to a store today and saw a nice 1-1/2" square piece of coral. Green with neon green eyes. Thought it was nice and was laying on $20 frag rack. I asked employee price to confirm if was $20. They said yes so I said I'll take it. Then as they are bagging, another employee comes along and asks what they are doing. They proceed to tell them that the piece was not a $20 but instead a Raja Rampage for $150. I know that is designer coral but did not proceed with purchase as I couldn't recognize based on size and color with piece being that small. I have also seen it cheaper online with shipping. I was disappointed and also felt slightly embarrassed as I hoped they didn't think I was trying to get away with something.

I'm not the type to say they had it mislabeled, I understand the value of that coral but a little taken aback by pricing for something that wasn't high quality and quite small.

Anybody else have an experience like that?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That was totally their fault, and not on you at all. And a few people have sold Raja Rampage on here as small colonies for $150. It sounds to me like the LFS were just trying to increase profits.

I’ve had similar instances in the past when I bought a coral that was unknowingly mislabeled (for example $75 coral on a $20 rack). But when the store realizes it was their mistake, they usually consider it their loss as it was their mistake, and sell it to me at the price they originally quoted. I’ve never seen, in any industry, a business change the price at the register... except for maybe insurance or car salesmen.

Similarly, whenever my old LFS mislabeled things, we would still sell them to the customer at the posted price... and just tell them “you’re getting a hella good deal here. Here’s why...”. Customers love it, and keep coming back to spend more money if you treat them right.

Last edited:
I don’t know which LFS, and I don’t want to know.

But I hope my post doesn’t offend anyone (I.e. relating companies to insurance or car salespeople). Business is business, and all is fair. This was all just my opinion.

Agree with @ActiveAngel .
I'm not sure they handled that right...especially given the more intimate nature of LFSs - it'd be super awkward for you to ever go back into that place.

I'm actually curious which LFS it was, not because of this incident, but because I rarely ever see "designer" frags offered locally even if absurdly priced.
But don't post the name.

If the price was questioned and confirmed prior to hitting the register then it should have been sold at the listed price.
To come back as the checkout is in process and do that is very questionable. At the very least asking if you'd also pick up something more expensive to help offset the loss but to just increase it $130. Wow.

I'm not mad at them but was surprised. If somebody else wants to go get the frag or look they can pm for name if they want but will not post as I take it as a one off and maybe the employees knowledge of frags not the business.

I do wish stores would label better so you didn't have to ask for every frag because their staff is limited and hate to keep asking.

I'm not mad at them but was surprised. If somebody else wants to go get the frag or look they can pm for name if they want but will not post as I take it as a one off and maybe the employees knowledge of frags not the business.

I do wish stores would label better so you didn't have to ask for every frag because their staff is limited and hate to keep asking.

+1

Agree with @ActiveAngel .
I'm not sure they handled that right...especially given the more intimate nature of LFSs - it'd be super awkward for you to ever go back into that place.

I'm actually curious which LFS it was, not because of this incident, but because I rarely ever see "designer" frags offered locally even if absurdly priced.
But don't post the name.

Speaking of places with nice frags, we started going to Reef Shac in Powder Springs recently and they have a nice selection. We got a pink octospawn and ironmman gonipora frags there a few weeks ago, among others. Price was reasonable too. Here are a few pics from their website of what we got:

1597439886043.jpeg
1597439963286.jpeg

Back