LFS or Online - Different or the Same

snarky shark

Supporting
Reaction score
I was thinking about this recently because I have been in some of the stores when they received their shipment.

I guess really the only difference is that you can physically see the fish and look at its behavior. Unless you ask the questions of how long it's been there, you won't know. Another reason for the importance of quarantining.

I am not opposed to LFS as I still frequent and purchase as you can take it home that day.

I guess for me now it's just knowing the store whether it be online or not and their reputation for business. The benefit to online is that you can find species that local sites may not carry.

I'll stop rambling but wanted to see what others thought. Again, I support local stores and they are vital for the hobby but seem like they are a showroom for larger fish suppliers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I always prefer LFS. Because this is a visual hobby and incorporates living organisms, 3 of the biggest factors are health, appearance, and behavior.

Health can be determined by asking questions; online or in the LFS. But appearance must be seen, and still photographs or even videos only go so far in their representation of reality. That’s why LFS is always better, in my opinion.

Up in Chicago, it generally the responsibility of the LFS to quarantine and Medicare if necessary. Which is another huge benefit. However, the opposite seems to be the standard down here.

As for fish appearance, when you’ve been in the hobby a while, you gain appreciation for subtle differences. For example, there are many different types of the color black, even within the same species, and from the same clutch of eggs. ...just one example of appearance that requires me being in person.

We’ve had great luck recently ordering fish from LiveAquaria’s divers den, where you can see the exact fish you get. They have arrived very healthy and eating, and their photography is pretty true to color. They also have a 14 day guarantee, where if the fish doesn’t survive for any reason they will give you a credit. They have free shipping too with a minimum order.

We’ve also ordered corals from a variety of online stores and eBay. The challenging thing with those is that it can be a little tricky to see the color, and not all have guarantees beyond them arriving alive. But you can get some great deals and really unique pieces, if you are willing to take the risk.

Good luck!!

If you have a idea of which specific fish you want; i’m pretty sure a LFS can special order what you are looking for. RIT from Atlanta Aquarium in Duluth could surely get what your looking for. RIT was my favorite store when i had my aquariums setup some years ago.
Give RIT a call to see if he can special order your specific fish.
wannabee

I prefer buying fish locally - I want to see the fish and think I have a better chance with survival.

Corals - I mostly buy on here - online and LFS are all too expensive for most corals. The exception to this in Rit at Atlanta Aquarium. I do buy coral from him occassionally.

Clean up crew - online - LFS rarely have enough of what I want for a reasonable price. They also ship very well.

I buy things from an LFS, or whatever local store if it's a different hobby, when the price isn't too terribly different. I just bought a bunch of dry rock from an LFS for a $20-30 difference from BRS. After shipping I may have even come out ahead. Helps them keep the lights on for when I REALLY need somebody local.

Back