Life of a PC bulb?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
Three quick questions to anyone having experience with Coralife PC fixtures:

<ol>
<li>How often do you change your bulbs? We\'ve had the same ones on a used fixture for 5 months and I\'m not sure how many months were on the bulbs when we got the fixture.</li>
<li>I\'ve read that declining bulbs can contribute to algae bloom. True?</li>
<li>Do you know of a good online source for replacement bulbs?</li>
</ol>
Thanks!

You should be replacing your bulbs about now,based on how long you have used them. It really depends on how long you run the lamps during the day,but I would replace them every 9 months to a year Minimum.And when you change the lamps you need to acclimate the tank to the new light. You can use some screen material or just raise the light off the tank about 6 inches then lower it gradually over a few weeks.

46bfinga;99418 wrote: You should be replacing your bulbs about now,based on how long you have used them. It really depends on how long you run the lamps during the day,but I would replace them every 9 months to a year Minimum.And when you change the lamps you need to acclimate the tank to the new light. You can use some screen material or just raise the light off the tank about 6 inches then lower it gradually over a few weeks.

I wasn't aware of the acclimation part, but that makes so much sense. Thanks! I'd have probably killed stuff....... again.:doh:

IMHO... I would not worry so much with PC bulbs.. Replace then once a year... I would not worry about light shock with a PC bulb, seriously, they just do not put out that much light. Everything that I have read says that light shift towards algae is nothing compared to what it is with a halide hight.

Xyzpdq0121;99452 wrote: IMHO... I would not worry so much with PC bulbs.. Replace then once a year... I would not worry about light shock with a PC bulb, seriously, they just do not put out that much light. Everything that I have read says that light shift towards algae is nothing compared to what it is with a halide hight.

I would still acclimate them,what would it hurt? Its a good habit to get into.

Xyzpdq0121;99452 wrote: IMHO... I would not worry so much with PC bulbs.. Replace then once a year... I would not worry about light shock with a PC bulb, seriously, they just do not put out that much light. Everything that I have read says that light shift towards algae is nothing compared to what it is with a halide hight.

FWIW, I replace only 50% of my bulbs at one time, and the other half are replaced 6 months later. That way the shock of new, bright bulbs is reduced.

Back