Light Emergency*****

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Anyone happen to have a 36 inch MH fixture (sits on legs) to loan or sell? Mine crapped out today. Thanks.

Dang it Darren....that sucks. I don't have one to spare unfortunately. Good luck!

Well good thing is, you can survive w/o a light for a few days. Sorry to hear about that. If push comes to shove, i have a crappy reflector and a SE mogul socket...as well as spare 175W bulbs....if someone has a 175W ballast to let you borrow, we can get you some light temp. till you get your setup back.

what kind of ballast do they have? Individual reflectors too or all one?

It is one of the all in one Outer Orbit fixtures. Internal ballasts.

Darren24;176792 wrote: How long will my corals be ok under 4 x 39W T5 actinics?

Individual reflectors? If so, switch out a couple of the actinics w/ some of the GE6500 that you can pick up from E. Sam Jones and the T5 should be plenty of light to get you through.

Anyone know who might work on lights? It is just the on / off (toggle) switch. It appears that it broke loose inside as it just goes back and forth and does not engage. I tried to "fix" it and pulled a wire loose from it as well.

There's your problem..j/k, any chance of opening the case and re soldoring it back in place? Or is it the on/off power supply that died?

Even with individual reflectors, replacing the actinics with a couple or 3 of the GEs will give you enough light to sustain the corals for a period of time.

These are relatively easy to work on and Current has good customer service. Contact them and I'm sure they will send you a new switch.

Yes I will get some 10K bulbs and pull a couple of the actinics. The on / off switch just swings freely back and forth. When I opened the case I did not see a way to get inside the switch to see why it would not engage. That is when the wire pulled loose. I can get the wire back in place but the switch is the problem. Thanks.

If you want to get it fixed fast you could source an identical switch from McMaster Carr or grainger probably

Darren,
If it helps, I have three MH's in the canopy I got from Scott. I'm not going to use them any time soon so you are welcome to grab one or two and set them up temporarily but would take some work. Yours if you need them temporarily
Bob

Check out "Tatoocliff", he had a light he was trying to sell me, but I wanted a 48".

Or, I would open it and bypass the switch temporarily with a wire nut, or by soldering a jumper. Should be very easy to do and wont really bypass any safety devices except the switch itself. You will just have to plug/and unplug until the new switch arrives, unless you are using a timer, then you could just leave it that way... If it is just a very standard switch, Radio Shack carries several varieties.

Yeah, even the un-inclined should be able to do this! I bet the hardest part would be getting the fixture apart and back together. As long as it is unplugged when you work on it, you dont leave any naked metal exposed on your jumper/nut were it will short, and you reassemble correctly, easy as pie!

Oh and dont touch any crap on the ballast. I'm not sure if they hold capacitive charge or not??? I'm guessing nowadays they dont.

Back