Light Fixture Hanging?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I would like to raise the Current Nova Extreme Pro T5 fixtures above the tanks more than the regular feet keep them. They already have 4 holes in the top to accomodate a hanging kit, but before buying the kits I thought I would ask if anyone has done or seen a DIY version.

Bud, I have mine suspended from 2 pieces of electrical conduit mounted to the wall. These are bent at a 90 degree angle over the tank. I then have retractable cables to help raise and lower the canopy (4 total).

I don't have a picture with me, but I will try to get one tonight.

Here are the hangers:
a>

Thanks, I actually already have a pair of the retractable hangers; I was looking for how to attach something to the fixtures themselves. I ordered Current hanging kits and just received them yesterday so sometime in the next few days I'll get them hung. Although it may be a moot point now since I've just ordered some new LED fixtures and hope to get them sometime in the next week.

serpent;614766 wrote: Bud, I have mine suspended from 2 pieces of electrical conduit mounted to the wall. These are bent at a 90 degree angle over the tank. I then have retractable cables to help raise and lower the canopy (4 total).

I don't have a picture with me, but I will try to get one tonight.

Here are the hangers:
QUOTE]

Oh, I use eye bolts with a nut on the end to attach the hangers. I just dabbed a little loctite on the screw and placed the bolt where I wanted it.

You will have to keep us posted on the LEDs. I am looking at a DIY kit right now for a frag tank I am going to be setting up.

I have my AI module on a ELOS light tree. Gives it a rather simple, yet clean look.

serpent;614773 wrote: Oh, I use eye bolts with a nut on the end to attach the hangers. I just dabbed a little loctite on the screw and placed the bolt where I wanted it.

You will have to keep us posted on the LEDs. I am looking at a DIY kit right now for a frag tank I am going to be setting up.

Will, do! Luckily, for now my tanks are all in the basement so I'll be able to hang these from the exposed rafters. I have the AI LEDs on order.

mapleredta;614774 wrote: I have my AI module on a ELOS light tree. Gives it a rather simple, yet clean look.

I saw that! I've been reading up on the AIs and have them on order. I can't wait to get them in. I bought the rails and hanging kits for them so I'll be able to just hang them from the rafters as well.

I have a rail with legs I don't need. If you need them, let me know! I can't wait to see yours!

Thanks! I've got the feet coming with them as well, but won't be using them. How high do you have yours hanging and what footprint is it covering? I know you guys upgraded the pods to the Sol Blue, but what optics did you end up with? I've ordered the 70degree ones from AI to swap out the 40degree ones.

mapleredta;614792 wrote: I have a rail with legs I don't need. If you need them, let me know! I can't wait to see yours!

Everything is upgraded, 70 degree optics and Sol blue. I'm waiting on a new board to come. Right now it's confused and my settings are completely backward. The board was ordered yesterday and I hope to have it tomorrow. The light is roughly 12" off the water and no light is spilled over the sides/nor front of the tank. I'm not exactly sure of the dimensions of the tank. I'm pretty sure it's a 24" x 18.5 or something close. Did you get the controller?

Yes, I did. Right now my plan is to put 2 modules over one 40B and 1 module over the other 40B. I'm thinkng about getting a 93G, 30"x30"x24" and will take one of the 40Bs down so I'll have 2 modules over the 93G and one, probably horizontal over the other 40B. They'll all be controlled by a single controller.

I agree, which is why I have to buy a bigger tank! :thumbs:

I'm like a kid just before Christmas, checking my emails about every 10 minutes to see if I have a shipping notification on the lights.

mapleredta;614831 wrote: Oh boy, I can grow SPS on my sandbed. lol I think two is way overkill for the 40B

Budsreef;614835 wrote: I agree, which is why I have to buy a bigger tank! :thumbs:

I'm like a kid just before Christmas, checking my emails about every 10 minutes to see if I have a shipping notification on the lights.
Did you watch the video in my link of the lightning storm? My favorite thing about the light hands down. I'm going to try and figure out doing some kind of rain system for the tank too. :lol2:
Here is a great thread for you:
showthread.php

No, I've only kept up with what you were doing on RC through the link you posted. Where's the link for your video? You need to ask the produce guy at Kroger what they are using. It thunders just before the rain comes over the veggies.

mapleredta;614836 wrote: Did you watch the video in my link of the lightning storm? My favorite thing about the light hands down. I'm going to try and figure out doing some kind of rain system for the tank too. :lol2:
Here is a great thread for you:
showthread.php

Budsreef;614840 wrote: No, I've only kept up with what you were doing on RC through the link you posted. Where's the link for your video? You need to ask the produce guy at Kroger what they are using. It thunders just before the rain comes over the veggies.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53326&highlight=mapleredta">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53326&highlight=mapleredta</a>
Yeah, some sort of little spray bars would definitely work.:D

mapleredta;614848 wrote: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53326&highlight=mapleredta">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53326&highlight=mapleredta</a>
Yeah, some sort of little spray bars would definitely work.:D[/QUOTE]

HAHA, let the spary bars work as your ATO! :lol2:

Bud,

Too funny ... I've got 2 AI Sol Blues that will be going up over 2 of my 30g cubes next week. Mine are in my basement too with exposed rafters, but mine are 6' off the floor - different visual situation than you. I'm going old school with angle bar and small gauge chain. Mine are all covered up by canopy trim, so no sense in my setup to drop dollars on those sleek euro hanging bars and cables AI sells.

If I ever put them on my DT - I'd probably go topless and have an up from the back bar (powder coated) mounted behind the stand with tubing large enough for the cables to go down the inside ... all clean.

We'll have to compare notes once their up. Mine are going to be right next to 2 other 30g cubes that are already setup running 250w 20k radiums with a 36" actinic LED strip as dawn/dusk & augmentation lighting. Should be a very apples to apples comparison.

-John

wannaplayatlanta;615936 wrote: Did u get pics yet

Sorry, I'm not sure what pictures you're asking about?

JJ Ocean;615972 wrote: Bud,

Too funny ... I've got 2 AI Sol Blues that will be going up over 2 of my 30g cubes next week. Mine are in my basement too with exposed rafters, but mine are 6' off the floor - different visual situation than you. I'm going old school with angle bar and small gauge chain. Mine are all covered up by canopy trim, so no sense in my setup to drop dollars on those sleek euro hanging bars and cables AI sells.

If I ever put them on my DT - I'd probably go topless and have an up from the back bar (powder coated) mounted behind the stand with tubing large enough for the cables to go down the inside ... all clean.

We'll have to compare notes once their up. Mine are going to be right next to 2 other 30g cubes that are already setup running 250w 20k radiums with a 36" actinic LED strip as dawn/dusk & augmentation lighting. Should be a very apples to apples comparison.

-John

I received the cable hanging kits for the Orbit fixtures and hung one of them yesterday. It works pretty good, but after I finished I received the shipping notice that my AI fixtures should be here Monday. Doh! For now I plan on two AIs over one 40B and one AI over the other 40B. i can't wait to get them running.

Back