light for a 40B frag tank

matt7

Market
Reaction score
I bought an ocean revive t247 yesterday, but just wanted to see if there was any better and decently priced options out there that you would put over a 36x18x17 frag tank.

I think you will be happy with it for a frag tank. 36" of good coverage probably isn't happening, but the ability to place low light corals at the edges of the tank will compensate for the lack of the ability to move the frags deeper.

JBDreefs;1068253 wrote: I think you will be happy with it for a frag tank. 36" of good coverage probably isn't happening, but the ability to place low light corals at the edges of the tank will compensate for the lack of the ability to move the frags deeper.

thanks, any ideas on DIY mounting? I can't hang them from my wall or ceiling but do want them suspended, obviously.

JBDreefs;1068256 wrote: How pretty does it have to be? LOL.

at this point I'm open to anything lol. if it looks awful I can put it in a back room so I'm not too concerned about that

Here is an easy diy:

Make a frame from pvc that has two "U's" creating four legs and connect the two U's with a bar across the middle. You could either hang the light from the center bar, or drill holes through the pvc and bolt the fixture to the stand.

I would notch the feet to match the top trim.

JBDreefs;1068259 wrote: Here is an easy diy:

Make a frame from pvc that has two "U's" creating four legs and connect the two U's with a bar across the middle. You could either hang the light from the center bar, or drill holes through the pvc and bolt the fixture to the stand.

I would notch the feet to match the top trim.

thanks! sounds like a good idea, I think I'll try it.

I have a long 4" pvc pipe laying around with one of those flat stand type things on it, think this would work?

if I filled that with 20 lb or so of sand then put an elbow on top and sent a foot of pvc off of that going straight out and capped it then drilled a hole through that pipe and hung the lights off of it with some picture wire?

For the price you won't find a better light. It does grow sps.
Good luck man

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Matt7;1068293 wrote: I have a long 4" pvc pipe laying around with one of those flat stand type things on it, think this would work?

if I filled that with 20 lb or so of sand then put an elbow on top and sent a foot of pvc off of that going straight out and capped it then drilled a hole through that pipe and hung the lights off of it with some picture wire?

I'm not entirely sure I'm familiar with the PVC pipe thing you mentioned, but it sounds like it could work. If you have the stuff laying around, just try: no loss!

I used to use bent conduit pipes. One would hold 1 or 2 LED fixtures. Paint it black and mount it to the back of the stand. Looks nice

<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1068321=66031-image.png
>
1068321=66031-image.png
class="gc-images" title="image.png[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

26CA7B29-0663-4FF3-8706-514E146FBA30_zpshchdph7x.jpg
alt="" /></a>

here's basically what I'm going to try. this will be placed behind the tank. the sand will weigh the pvc down so it doesn't tip over with the weight of the light and then it's basically just a bar I'm feeding the light through. if it works as planned I will paint it black, as I'm quite good with spray paint.

Matt7;1068331 wrote:
26CA7B29-0663-4FF3-8706-514E146FBA30_zpshchdph7x.jpg
alt="" /></a>

here's basically what I'm going to try. this will be placed behind the tank. the sand will weigh the pvc down so it doesn't tip over with the weight of the light and then it's basically just a bar I'm feeding the light through. if it works as planned I will paint it black, as I'm quite good with spray paint.
it might not. doesn't matter how stable you make the pvc stand to be, it will topple over with the weight of the light. unless you secure the light stand to the floor one way or the other, otherwise the plan will not work. at least that's my suspicion

hzheng33;1068337 wrote: it might not. doesn't matter how stable you make the pvc stand to be, it will topple over with the weight of the light. unless you secure the light stand to the floor one way or the other, otherwise the plan will not work. at least that's my suspicion

idk, it's not like the light really weighs all that much

You can add stability by making the base a bit larger. Maybe screw a board to the bottom of the flange.

For what its worth I did the same kind of light support but with gas pipe from home depot. Just paint it what ever color you like and your good to go.

Electric conduit will look much better since the light comes with hanging kit Matt. Very easy to do and also much better than the pvc. Pvc is for like a nano cube but with a 40b, go metal man

One thing I recommend is remove the lens since the light comes with 90 optic lens. Light will spread out better for your one light

Ricky5415;1068446 wrote: Electric conduit will look much better since the light comes with hanging kit Matt. Very easy to do and also much better than the pvc. Pvc is for like a nano cube but with a 40b, go metal man

i bought it used and it actually has none of the hanging equipment with it...

my pvc idea sort of worked but I want to make it look better so the conduit idea is intriguing if I could mount it without the hanging kit

Back