light intensity

nhutdmd

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to get a feel for my aquarium, but cannot figure out why some things are thriving while others are dying off. How can I check if my light intensity is correct and not promoting algae growth. How long should a bulb last before replacing? Besides testing for ph, nitrite, nitrates, ammonia, etc. what other big thing should i watch out for??? For example... my zoas were doing great and now are not opening, but my yellow polyps are thriving!, all of my pulsating xenia are dead as well( I heard these were easy). Fish, anemones, frogspawns are ok but not growing. Help!!

Power Compact...4 x dual bulbs 96 watts, 2 of eight bulbs are actinics. Light is sitting directly on the tank, no legs. Bowfront tank 72 gallons with 1 corner overflow, 29 gallon sump, protien skimmer(no sure what kind but creates lots of crap), no uv sterilizer, no ca or phos reactor. 2 damsels, 2 false percs, tomato, dragon goby, six line.

your lighting is weak. If you want good growth and colouration, you'll want to upgrade the lighting to either t5 or mh.

What is your water change schedule?

I use 65 watt pc's for my actinic dusk to dawn. I use four on a ten foot long tank :)

GO MH!

I am also getting a lot of bubbles on my rock, and a green hair-like algae bloom.. what's going on??? I will start doing 2 week water changes or is that overkill??

nhutdmd;208091 wrote: I am also getting a lot of bubbles on my rock, and a green hair-like algae bloom.. what's going on??? I will start doing 2 week water changes or is that overkill??

As Dawgdude asked what are your water parameters? Water changes are good, but you need to try to figure out what you need to fix. PC lighting may not be ideal, but with fresh bulbs it should be ok for what you have in the tank.

You probably should really look at lighting, flow and water quality and make sure you don't have any issues with any of those.

I'd replace the bulbs with fresh ones, test your water quality including the RO/DI you use for mixing saltwater and make sure you don't have any significant dead spots of flow. That would give you a base to work from.

water changes will help take the crud out of the water. BUT, it seems as though you need to resolve some issues. I would test your water so you can see what is out of whack. THEN, do a large water change, followed by some frequent water changes to get things back on track.

Now that you know what area was out of whack, you'll be able to fund out how to prevent it from happening again...theoretically!

Back