Light Opinions for 20-gal Nanocube Needed

stanfill reef

Market
Reaction score
It is time to change the bulbs on my 20-gal Nanocube. I have an upgraded hood that has 3 x 36w pc bulbs. Right now there are 3 50/50 bulbs. Just wanted to get opinions for the change. Should I stick with 3 50/50 or add in a 10000k? Or should I do some other combination of bulbs?

Any opinions are welcome.

It is all up to the look you want... if it were me I would try 1 6500K bulb, 1 10K bulb and 1 true actinic bulb and see how that looks... It is not going to be as blue but you will have better growth and par (if you can use the term PAR when talking about PC bulbs)

I was thinking to go another way, but I purchased the system from another ARC member and it came this way. Inertia is hard to change, so I thought I would get some ideas.

I like the idea of more "par" :D , that may be the way to go. I was just worried about bad algae with the 6500k bulb. I thought it encourage more growth. I am finally over the tank startup bloom after 6 months of operation. The tank is starting to finally get some good coralline started.

The 6500k will promote algae growth if your water quality is not good. I think you should run a 10k and two 50/50 or got with the combination dawgdude recommended. If you do go with the 6500k it may produced a really yellow color that may not bring out the best color in some of your corals, but reds and purples may look better.

personally i really dont like 50-50 bulbs anymore, your not really getting the full potential out of your bulbs. the par on the actinics on pcs is very low, i would go with two 10ks and one actinic in the center youd be surprised by how much one actinic can wash out the yellow

Ya a 6500K bulb MIGHT create more algae growth but if you keep the system perams in check I doubt it would be too much of a problem. I also do not know how it would look. If the blue would be enough to wash out the yellow produced by the 6500K. Like I said, it would be interesting to try and see... It would either work very well or not work at all, there is not too much in between. If you are worried about it then go with 2 10K and 1 Actinic but I would stay away from the 50/50 bulbs.

the problem with 50-50 bulbs is that say if you had a 24 watt bulb, your only really getting the about the equivelant of a 12 watt bulb. Now say you had 2 10k 24 watters and an actinic, compared to 3 50-50s, thats infact more like 48 watts of usable light compared to 36 watts of usable light.

Back